Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Log Files

DirkStrauss
Novice

I have the OEM version of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility installed on my machine. Here is my system info:

Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2021/‎04/‎17
OS build 19042.928
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I see log files totalling 29GB in size. A single file can be as big as 1.4GB. How do I get rid of these? "Enable Telemetry Data Collection" is turned off in advanced settings.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello DirkStrauss, 

Based on your pictures, I noticed that your CPU is running above the base frequency which is 2.70GHz and this can damage your system (your computer is being overclocked). 

Also, I would like to let you know that these locks are created every time you open and/or run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, the size may be related to the fact that it was being used and the computer overclocked. However, if you do not use this tool you can delete it (and the logs), and you can use the following link to get the steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html

I recommend you disable any overclocking setting at the BIOS and/or make sure to run the processor at the base frequency.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello DirkStrauss,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. By "OEM Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility" do you mean a tool from MSI that works in the same way?

2. Can you provide the full name of your MSI device? (Laptop or motherboard).

3. Are you using the version from the Intel website?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

4. Have you experienced any other issues with the tool?

5. Is the only issue that the size of the logs/files is too big?

6. Have you contacted MSI to check this? Because you mentioned that it's an OEM version.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DirkStrauss
Novice

Hi Deivid

1. By "OEM Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility" do you mean a tool from MSI that works in the same way?

No this is the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

2. Can you provide the full name of your MSI device? (Laptop or motherboard).

The motherboard is Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Model MS-17A1 Version REV:1.0

3. Are you using the version from the Intel website?

The version came pre-installed on my laptop

4. Have you experienced any other issues with the tool?

I never use it. I only saw the large log files and googled the extension which told me it's this tool's log files.

5. Is the only issue that the size of the logs/files is too big?

Yes, they are huge.

6. Have you contacted MSI to check this? Because you mentioned that it's an OEM version.

No, I have not, because the Extreme Tuning Utility is an Intel tool.

0 Kudos
DirkStrauss
Novice

See attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello DirkStrauss, 

Based on your pictures, I noticed that your CPU is running above the base frequency which is 2.70GHz and this can damage your system (your computer is being overclocked). 

Also, I would like to let you know that these locks are created every time you open and/or run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, the size may be related to the fact that it was being used and the computer overclocked. However, if you do not use this tool you can delete it (and the logs), and you can use the following link to get the steps:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html

I recommend you disable any overclocking setting at the BIOS and/or make sure to run the processor at the base frequency.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DirkStrauss
Novice

Hi Deivid

I have never overclocked the CPU. The machine is still stock standard as the day it was bought. So it is strange to me that the CPU is being overclocked. Nevertheless, I will delete these log files.

Thanks for your help.

lurc
Beginner

Also having this issue with a stock intel g7 laptop, never heard of that program in my life, really weird.

0 Kudos