Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility XTU not applying profile when restarting Windows 10

Jurgen00000
Novice

I have an i7 6850K installed into a Gigabyte X99 Designare EX (BIOS f5c), running Windows 10 Pro (version 20H2, build 19042.746).

For some reason I don't know (I think is something related to a Win 10 microcode), the BIOS is not applying any OC over the Turbo Boost Max defaults (mult 38-38-38-38-38-40).

I can workaround this issue using Intel XTU (and also have extra functionality over the BIOS options), but the problem is that the OC is lost when I restart the computer.

I've recently found out that when cold booting (turning it off and on again...), the OC profile is being applied.

Any ideas on why it's not working on restart?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jurgen00000
Novice

Upon further investigation, I've found that the Windows 10 Fast Startup feature is keeping the OC settings. If I disable Fast Startup, I lose all the applied settings by XTU.

Is that the correct behavior of XTU?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Please try the following: 

1. Make sure that there is no other overclocking tool running, as this may cause issues to Intel® XTU.  

2. Completely uninstall and reinstall the Intel® XTU:  

Try these two steps first. 

1. Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility. 
    1. Use the Windows* 10 Apps and Features. 
    2. Search for Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility. 
    3. Click uninstall
  2. Open the Task Manager.
    1. Check under Processes for XtuService
    2. If found, click End Task

Then, follow the steps below to completely remove the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility: 

1. Locate installutil.exe at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe. 
  2. Locate XTU service at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\XtuService.exe. 
  3. Using those pieces of information, open a command prompt as an admin and enter your information for the location of the Extreme Tuning service. (Your location may be different. An example is given below.) 
  4. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe /u C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\XtuService.exe. 
  5. Delete any folder named Intel® XTU from these locations: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel and C:\ProgramData\Intel. 
  6. Delete the folder named Intel® Intel Telemetry under C:\ProgramData:. 
  7. You may want to reboot your system (optional). 
  8. Install the latest version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-  

If the issue persists, please provide: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:   

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".    
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".    
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".    
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

2. Provide the XTU logs: C:/ProgramData/Intel/Intel Extreme Tunning Utility/Logs 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jurgen00000
Novice

I've tried flashing the BIOS to a previous version (F4), also reinstalling windows and it's still not working when restarting. I'm sure XTU was the only installed OC tool at that time, now I have also MSI Afterburner, but that's for the GPU.

I've attached the requested files.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000,  

Thank you for your reply. 

Please allow us to review this behavior internally. Once we have an update, we will post it on this thread. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000,  

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

Our development team has been trying to replicate this behavior with no luck, we are seeing no issues on our end. 

In the meantime, we would like to have more information: 

1. Can you share the specific settings that you are using? 
  2. Please take a screenshot of the System Information tab in the Intel® XTU. 
  3. Could you confirm if you are experiencing this behavior? 

• If Fast startup is ENABLED
    • When cold booting (tuning off then on) > no issue 
    • When restarting > no issue 
  • If Fast startup is DISABLED
    • When cold booting > this is when the issue happens. 
    • When restarting > no issue.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Jurgen00000
Novice

Sorry for the delay. Here are the requested screenshots.

I'm experiencing the following behavior:

• If Fast startup is ENABLED
    • When cold booting (tuning off then on) > no issue.
    • When restarting >this is when the issue happens.
  • If Fast startup is DISABLED
    • When cold booting > this is when the issue happens.
    • When restarting > this is when the issue happens.

The issue is that the "At boot" options shown in XTU overwrite the profile settings.

Those "At boot" options seem to be the stock Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 from BIOS. Even if I change the limits, the stock one is used.

Another issue I have is that if I don't increase those limits on BIOS, any value I apply from XTU is capped. ie. if the "Per Core Limit Control" multiplier in BIOS is 40 for each core, if I set 41 on XTU, HWInfo shows all cores at 4Ghz when on load.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000,  

Thanks for the details you provided. 

Please let me share these details with the team in charge of investigating this. 

Once we have more information, we share it here.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000,  

Thanks once again for waiting. 

Our developer team is still working on your inquiry; we cannot control at what point the values changed in BIOS are applied post-boot. Therefore, can you look at the “active” values rather than the “at-boot” values? To view these “active” values, go to: Advanced Tuning > click on the tool icon in the top right corner > select to show active values. 

Can you please confirm that the values set in the XTU UI are the same as what they see after a reboot/cold boot? 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Jurgen00000
Novice

Attached are the XTU screenshots after a restart and after a cold boot with Fast Startup enabled.

I don't know if it worth to note that if I restart and don't re-apply my proposed values, after a cold boot, the XTU profile values are being applied again. This would be the sequence:

1. Apply the XTU profile values.

2. Restart (lose profile values. Back to default).

3. Cold Boot with Fast Startup (profile/proposed values get applied again).

I'm not sure how XTU and Win Fast Startup work together, but for some reason, the values taken from fast startup are not being overwritten after the restart and new cold boot.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Jurgen00000,   

Thank you for your reply. 

Once again, please patiently wait for our update on this. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Jurgen00000, I just received an update on this matter.

First of all, thank you very much for all the testing done, all the information provided has been a great help to confirm that we have a bug that is still under investigation and we hope to come out with the fix in the coming Intel® XTU releases, we don't have an ETA but we are working on it.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jurgen00000
Novice

Thank you for the update!

Is there any ticket number and somewhere I could check the status?

Regards.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Jurgen00000, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your question, I will check on that and as soon as I get any confirmation I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Jurgen00000, I just received an update on this matter.

I sent you an email, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos