Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility freezes on launch

MHepw
Beginner

I've used IETU for months on my machine. But today it won't launch. It freezes on the startup screen, though the rest of the computer runs nominally. I've uninstalled and re-installed the latest version, but to no avail. I've attached the files from the Logs folder.

Thanks,

MattLTH

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you update ietu?

Did you update the bios?

What OS version and build?

What processor model number?

Doc

MHepw
Beginner

Thanks, Doc.

Yes, updated to newest version this morning after the launch freeze began.

BIOS not updated since January, 2019, and I'm running the latest BIOS rev. (MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon [MS-7A95], BIOS rev 1.A0)

Windows Pro 1809 17763.437

i9-7980XE

MattLTH

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, thanks for the information.

An Intel support engineer can assist you further.

Doc

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MHepw, Thank you for posting on the Intel Community. Could you please provide more information about your system? 1. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 2. Are you getting blue screens or error messages? Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MHepw, I would like to know if you were able to use the Intel® XTU without any problems by following the steps provided. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MHepw, Please contact us back at any time if you still need further assistance. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MHepw
Beginner

Hi Oscar,

Sorry it took me a while, but I'm attaching the results of the SSU.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MHepw, Thank you for the information. After checking your environment details, I can see that the processor you're using is the Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor which is not meant for overclocking since it is a locked processor. That doesn't mean that cannot run the XTU but it hasn't been validated on your system. As it says on the release notes of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, it is supported on Desktop, High End Mobile and High End Desktop (HEDT) platforms. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Intel XTU is a Windows*-based performance-tuning software that enables novice and experienced enthusiasts to overclock, monitor, and stress a system. If you would like to perform the stress test on your CPU what I recommend you to use is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MHepw
Beginner

Thanks, Oscar. Yes, I sent you the results from my Dell XPS 9560 with the i7-7700HQ because IETU was crashing on it as well as on my DIY i9-7980XE. I'd never try to overclock the Dell, but I was using IETU to monitor the performance of the computer and processor.

However, I'm happy to report that I solved the problem. I uninstalled IETU, but made sure to click the Options button and removed all of the settings and configurations. Then after a restart, I reinstalled IETU and viola, now the both run the program without error.

Thanks for you help and have a super day,

Matt

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
MHepw, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those results. Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear the problem got fixed and now the Intel® XTU is working properly. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again, have a nice day. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos