Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility "unable to start (...) if there is another tuning application running, you must close it"

CBlan8
Beginner

Hi,

Utility won't start and gives above error message but there are no other tuning utilities running.

I already tried to uninstall and have searched for and deleted remaining files in <C:\ProgramData\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility\> and <C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\> afterwards, to ensure to make a clean install (did a reboot before and after install in every attempt). First I tried version 6.5.1.360, then 6.5.1.371, both gave same errors.

There were only one single time, after installing .371 over .360, at which it worked - till I rebooted. So that indicates, that it should basically work.

I looked in log file, but I don't know what the exact problem is, because there are more than one errors. I think it's the best to post the log here, may be someone could point me to the right direction.

Are any tools known to specifically cause such a problem, even if they are not running / closed?

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you.

XtuCore.20200308-1833431762.log

Regards,

Christopher

P.S.: If it matters: Intel Core i7 5930K on a Plex HD X99 mainboard.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, could you please provide the following information?

1- We noticed you mentioned there are no other tunning utilities running. However, Was there any tunning utility running in the past that for instance, was uninstalled before installing Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)?

2- Did Intel® XTU work fine with any version prior to 6.5.1.360?

3- Was there any Software, Hardware or Windows® update change before the issue occurred?

4- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

4.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

4.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

4.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

4.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
CBlan8
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

1. What kind of tuning utility do you mean exactly? There was MSI Afterburning to overclock VGA installed, which I have uninstalled now. And AIDA64 for monitoring is also installed right now, but this has no tuning abilities. There were no utilities with similiar functions compared to XTU ever installed on my system.
  2. No, this is the first time I ever tried XTU.
  3. Cannot be answered, as described in 2.
  4. Is attached. Do you need any other logs from XTU?

Regards,

Christopher

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

Thank you for your response.

When we mentioned "other tunning utilities running: we just wanted to check if there was at any time any other software capable of overclocking on the system (altering frequencies and voltages on the different system components: CPU, RAM, Graphics, etc.).

Also, could you please confirm the following details?

1- When you uninstall MSI* Afterburning did you undo any changes this tool performed? Did you try loading BIOS defaults?

2- Could you please confirm the exact brand and model of your motherboard? (for some reason it is not shown on the Intel® SSU report).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
CBlan8
Beginner

Hi,

1- No changes were permanently done with MSI Afterburner. So, yes, anything have been reverted prior to uninstallation. BIOS is set to default, except the settings regarding C-States, those are enabled. As far as I know this is needed by XTU. BIOS is not modified.

2- It's a "China - Board": Plex HD X99. Something like a no-name-product with Intel X99 / C612 Chipset and standard AMI BIOS (means: not altered by OEM). Similiar to HUANANZHI X99 and also selled as "Aterminer X99". I know, it's a little "exotic".

Regards,

Christopher

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

We are checking this behavior and trying to replicate it in our lab, as well we are checking the logs and as soon as we have more details available we will be posting back in this thread.

Best Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

We would like to update this thread and provide you with the following details.

1- After checking the reports provided, we noticed that the system is running Windows* 10 Pro Insider Preview, Version: "10.0.19577 Build 19577". It is worth mentioning that we do not offer support on Windows Insider Builds. Microsoft* has requested all bugs and issues to be reported to them, even if it is showing up on third-party applications. We recommend reporting this issue to Microsoft.

2- We couldn't find official drivers or firmware updates for your motherboard model. In this case, we recommend verifying if the motherboard manufacturer offers any BIOS update. Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) is dependent on BIOS implementation.

3- You may also try with a clean operating system (OS) installation with latest Official Windows 10 Release.

4- We have tested Intel® XTU in several systems with supported processors, we tried installing and re-installing several times, as well, we tested on current instances of Windows installed weeks/months ago and on fresh and clean installations of Windows and no issues were shown up. Please find attached an image of Intel® XTU running on the latest Official Windows Release version 1909 (OS build 18363).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
CBlan8
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

first of all thank you for your support and that you took your time for testing and investigation.

Finally, after a BIOS update the service and the application starts now (or maybe after enabling SMI feature in BIOS). But no OC functions are available, only monitoring. Since this motherboard is not a standard one and there is no support by manufacturer, could you please tell me which specific Chipset / BIOS feature is really needed to get this working or point me to a document where these informations are mentioned? Maybe I can get it to work if I know what I need to enable in BIOS setup or investigate on my own if it could work at all.

Again, thanks for your effort and kind regards,

Christopher

P.S.: Btw XTU v.371 is showing VRAM not correctly. It shows only 4 GiB but it has 8 GiB :-)

it_works_20200321.png

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

We are glad to know you managed to make Intel® XTU able to start and it is providing monitoring functionality.

Regarding your inquiry about specific Chipset / BIOS features since overclocking options are not available, we do not handle a specific document or set of settings required to manually enable overclocking support on third-party systems. In this case, what we can recommend is checking with the motherboard support team regarding the steps and settings needed to enabled (if available) support for overclocking software like Intel® XTU, however, we noticed you mentioned the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of the motherboard does not provide support and unfortunately, the OEM would be the best source of support for this request. However, you may try checking the motherboard manual or related forums (for instance: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/*)

Additionally, we are checking further the behavior about the VRAM reported in Intel® XTU, and as soon as we have more details, we will be posting back in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello CBlan8

We would like to update this thread and regarding the VRAM reported, it is worth mentioning that Intel® XTU is not designed to report/monitor third-party hardware i.e. information provided by the tool on NVIDIA® Graphics card may not be accurate. We recommend using the tools provided by NVIDIA® to confirm proper graphics functionality.

As for Intel® Integrated graphics (6th generation and newer), the VRAM will always be capped at 50% of total memory RAM capacity (e.g. if the system has 8GB of RAM, then the max VRAM for Intel® Integrated graphics is going to be 4GB).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos