Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility wont over clock. The options are Grayed out

DFunk
Beginner

Hi, 

I wanted to see if I could receive support for my issue with my laptop.  I have had my Alienware M17x R3 for years and I upgraded to the i7-2960XM years ago after buying the PC.  I was able to enable the overclock features in the bios and using the intel tuning utility 2.1 version, I had no issues changing multipliers and voltage on processor and ram memory.  The PC came with Windows 7 Pro, I currently have windows 10 Pro.  I have a unlocked bios and again this feature overclocked fine.  I haven't been gaming but I want to check some settings and I tried to open the tuning utility with the current version from the website.  All the options to change multipliers and voltage are grayed out.  As shown in my 2 pics.  Please help me get access to the features again.  I tried resetting Bios defaults and re-enabling overclocking.  I tried old tuning version 2.1 but it wont run, then I tried current version to have everything blocked.   I bought the extreme core to raise the power of PC, if I cant use overclocking, I'm just using it at defaults.  Please someone assist me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Try this old version of XTU:

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
DFunk
Beginner

Hello, Thanks for your fast reply.  I uninstalled other one,, did a clean install removing all past profiles to be safe.  We still got nothing, the multiplier settings and all else is grayed out.  You can see that my overclocking settings from the bios functioned.  Turbo Boost 99W, Turbo boost short power max 99W, these settings worked.  Its weird that the settings are grayed out and also ENABLE is hit.

0 Kudos
DFunk
Beginner

the screen shot of the current 6.5 extreme tuning

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @DFunk

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Core™ i7-2960XM Processor Extreme Edition has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the following link:

Intel® Product Specifications > Product Status > "Discontinued".

Also, we would like to clarify that even if the Intel® Core™ i7-2960XM Processor Extreme Edition is an "Extreme Edition" series CPU, it is not in the valid CPUs lists for Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) nor it is part of the Supported Platforms as per the Intel® XTU Release Notes.

Finally, please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos