Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel Extreme suddenly won't overclock

Aashishkebab
Beginner
I have Dell XPS 9575 with the i7-8705g. Up until recently, I was easily able to overclock and undervolt inside Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
However, I just reinstalled Windows. Now it says that "my platform doesn't support overclocking". I know this to be false because I was using the very same software to overclock and undervolt just a few weeks ago.
Anybody know what could cause this?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU only supports X and K processors.  You have a G processor.  Your processor is not supported.

On the XTU download page, it tells you what processors are supported.  It also says " Intel XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors."

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

Also, regarding undervolting"

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

Doc

0 Kudos
Aashishkebab
Beginner

I'm sorry but this is not true. The i7-8705g has a partially unlocked multiplier, and as I said in my post, I was previously able to overclock (up to 4.5 GHz) and was doing so for several years (I rarely went that high, but nonetheless it was an option).

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do you see your processor in the list of supported processors?  The answer is no, therefore it is not supported.

Doc

0 Kudos
Aashishkebab
Beginner
Dude, as I said, *I have already overclocked it*. Or was I hallucinating for two years?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, Dude, as I have shown you in the documentation,  it says " Intel XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors.".

This is a case of NOT.  And, nothing is forever.

Good luck moving forward.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My understanding is that, in response to Plundervolt, Intel has made changes to the microcode that alters or removes the capabilities for undervolting. You are not the only person who has lost a capability here, but Intel had no choice; vulnerabilities must be addressed.

Thus does Doc's "nothing is forever" get applied, unfortunately.

...S

Aashishkebab
Beginner

So actually I got it to work. What I did was reset my BIOS to "Factory Settings", and somehow that fixed it, though I'm not sure why.

Aashishkebab_0-1593703630010.png

0 Kudos