Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14531 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics driver won't install on i5-8400

AKlag
Beginner

I have a Dell Vostro 3670, including i5-8400 and Intel Graphics. No other graphic card. The display adapter right now is Microsoft Basic, so I tried to download and install a better driver, either from Dell or Intel. None worked.

The Intel site said the file I have to download is Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_VVYP4_WIN_26.20.100.7262_A00.exe. When I run it, it gives me two options - to install the driver or to extract. If I choose to install, it waits a bit and then says that the installation package is incompatible with my processor type. If I extract and then try to manually update the driver (Device Drivers->Display Adapters->Update Driver->From Disk and then I choose the directory into which I extracted the driver) it says that Windows cannot find a better driver (and is currently installed) in the directory I specified.

The driver from Dell gives similar results. It says it isn't supported by a processor of this type.

It's  Windows 10, 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AKlag
Beginner

I mixed it - the file I named above is from the Dell site. But anyway it doesn't matter - I tried the files from both sites and none worked. Dell also offers a SupportAssist tool to automatically update drivers (it did really install some drivers, but failed to install the graphics and audio drivers). Likewise the Intel tool wasn't helpful.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The latest available driver package for your i5-8400 processor is version 26.20.100.8141, which you can download from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29530/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126687.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AKlag

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The driver link provided by n.scott.pearson is compatible with your Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Processor and Intel® UHD Graphics 630. However, this driver version 26.20.100.8141 and the previous ones posted on our website are Windows DCH Drivers packages that will install and run only on Universal Windows Platform (UWP) based editions of Windows® 10.

As of November 2018, driver updates for Intel products on these operating systems began transitioning to Windows DCH Drivers. To install a DCH graphics driver one of the following Windows® versions must be running on the system:

• Microsoft Windows® 10-64 - Fall Creators Update (1709)(RS3)
  • Microsoft Windows 10-64 - April 2018 Update (1803)(RS4)
  • Microsoft Windows 10-64 - October 2018 Update (1809)(RS5)
  • Microsoft Windows 10-64 – May 2019 Update (1903)(19H1)
  • Microsoft Windows 10-64 – November 2019 Update (1909)(19H2)

Having said that, we noticed that you have an internal support ticket describing this same problem and regarding the same PC model (DELL™ Vostro 3670). From the internal support ticket, we were able to find an Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report that you provided. If it is correct that the report is regarding the same system in this thread, we found out that it is running "Windows 10 Pro, version 1507, Build 10240 (Threshold 1) which is the first release of Windows 10 (from 2015) and it is not supported for DCH drivers.

Also, checking the DELL™ Website*, it seems the graphics driver they have available "26.20.100.7262, A00" may also be a DCH driver and it may require specific Windows® versions to be installed. We recommend confirming these details with DELL™ Support.

In this case, an update of Windows® 10 to one of the latest versions would be needed to be able to install the DCH graphics driver. There are different methods to update Windows, for instance, you may use the "Windows 10 November 2019 Update Assistant" or "Create Windows 10 installation media". For more information, please refer to the following link and you can check for the proper steps and options with Microsoft® Support:

Download Windows 10*

Windows 10 release information*.

Once you have an updated and supported version of Windows® 10 if it is possible that Windows® itself may provide a graphics driver via Windows® Update Service. However, if no driver is offered by Windows Update, you should be able to install the graphics driver. We recommend installing the graphics driver from the DELL™ Website* since it is the customized driver designed for your system so you don't lose features or customizations.

Alternatively, you can also try our latest generic DCH graphics driver shared by n.scott.pearson once you have updated Windows® 10.

Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Additional information about DCH drivers:

Frequently Asked Questions about Windows* DCH Drivers for Intel® Graphics

Introduction of Windows DCH Drivers for Intel Products

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AKlag
Beginner
Thank you so much! a very detailed response, and you even took time to check my support ticket (indeed this ticket refers to this very same problem). I appreciate that. Your solution was excellent. I updated Windows, as you suggested, and the Intel HD driver was installed automatically. Just to be sure, I checked the driver I downloaded from Dell, and it works too. Thanks again! ‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 28 באפר׳ 2020 ב-20:30 מאת ‪Intel Forums‬‏ <‪ supportreplies@intel.com‬‏>:‬
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello AKlag

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that you were able to install the graphics driver after updating Windows. It was a pleasure to assist you with this inquiry.

Since the issue is solved now, we will proceed to close this inquiry, however, if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos