Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Intel I9-9900K Huge Speed Drops

GeraldVanDoesburg

I've never had this problem until 3 days ago. I've spent my whole 2 days searching for fixes and stuff that I could do to fix this problem. When I try to play games, like valorant or apex legends, it drops to 0.69ghz or 0.79ghz, but other games like CoD or Destiny 2, It loads at 4,69ghz max I'm using an I9-9900k @3,60 ghz but a standard boost by my MSI MEG Z390 motherboard.

The power option are put on Ultimate Performance, the CPU temp is between 55-65 celcius under load

I would appreciate every help that you might offer and hopefully it would solve my problem

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello GeraldVanDoesburg, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

3. Additionally, provide the brand and full model number of your Power Supply Unit (PSU) and cooling solution.  

4. Since the problem is only with those specific games, it could be useful to check the following: 

• Is it only specifically with Valorant and Apex Legends? Is there any additional game/app that has the same behavior?  
  • Are the games being played in a specific platform? If yes, please provide the name of it. 
  • Open any of the games and open the task manager, please provide a screenshot of it. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
GeraldVanDoesburg

Hello Sebastian_M_Intel,

Here are the files that you requested.

It is not specifically Valorant or Apex Legends, Same goes for CSGO, Overwatch, Rainbow Six Siege.

The more like heavy duty games. 

I can run heartstone and for the king with no problems at all.

PSU : Corsair RM750X 

CPU Cooler :  Corsair H150i pro RGB

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello GeraldVanDoesburg, 

Thank you for the information provided, please check our recommendations below: 

1. Can you confirm if there were any changes made before the issue started?  

2. The SSU report showed me 2 things that I would like to rule out: 

• You are not using the latest BIOS available for your motherboard, try updating the BIOS (check with MSI for the instructions to avoid any problems) Download link
  • You are running your memory at 3200 MHz, and your CPU supports up to 2666 MHz, check that here. This can be causing issues and is also considered overclocking, this can reduce system stability and performance. Please try setting your BIOS settings to its defaults and test again (check with MSI for the instructions to avoid any problems). 

3. As extra testing, do you have another compatible motherboard or processor that you can use to swap the components? E.g. testing this CPU in another motherboard, or testing another CPU in this current motherboard.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.*

0 Kudos
GeraldVanDoesburg

Thank you for your response,

A different forum found the problem.

It was my MSI Motherboard, not due to the bios but due to a part in the motherboard that is not properly functioning.

But still, thank you for your help

Sincerely, 

Gerald van Doesburg

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello GeraldVanDoesburg,  

Thank you very much for the update, I am glad to hear that at least you were able to find the root cause of the issue. 

I hope you can find a resolution from MSI*, in that case, I will proceed to close this inquiry, if you need further assistance; please submit a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos