Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel Management Engine - persistent memory retraining

radomirpolach
Novice

I have a custom build laptop with i7-10510U CPU, after playing with Embedded Control patches, my laptop cold boot starts with 40 seconds of something. It seems to be caused by Management Engine being stuck in persistent memory retraining.

How can I check the ME setting and disable this nonsense?

Edit: It seems to be the same exact issue: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-vPro-Platform/Intel-Management-Engine-Firmware-corrupted-or-stuck-in-recovery/td-p/734709

So maybe not related to Embedded Controller, but to flash of the BIOS itself?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Check with the laptop motherboard manufacturer.   40 second boot?  I have a 9th gen laptop and a 10th gen NUC, and they both boot in 8 seconds or less.  Sounds like you have [poor] custom built laptop.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

@AlHill Sorry, please do not confuse the issue with unrelated things. This is a Management Engine problem, it is stuck in some memory retraining apparently. And I need to check is Management Engine settings and turn this off. This is a highly specific Intel CPU issue.

AlHill
Super User

The ME is installed with the bios, and the motherboard manufacturer owns the bios.  Check with the motherboard manufacturer.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

@AlHill Man, seriously, you don't know anything about the issue, please do not spam this thread.

I flashed the BIOS and EC myself, I know how everything works. Management Engine is a part of BIOS, but it is not a part that is under the motherboard manufacturer control. ME is binary blob that is supplied without sources by Intel and is just embedded into BIOS by the motherboard manufacturer. BIOS is not the issue here, ME is. I would cut it out if it could work without it. I can as well install Coreboot, but ME has to stay and the issue remains. Hence the issue is not in the BIOS, it is in ME and its internal state.

I need info on how to get ME internal state and how to change/disable this behaviour. If Intel gives me ME sources and its signing keys, I will fix the issue myself by analyzing the code and making appropriate changes, but I don't think that is going to happen, so I need info about ME internal state.

AlHill
Super User

Like I said - poorly designed/customized laptop.   Time to revisit the design/customizations rather than amputate pieces.

Good luck with that.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

@AlHill No, this is a ME issue, I can flash stock BIOS and the problem persist.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, the problem is yours alone.  Like I said before, a poorly designed/customized system.   Of course, you will insist you are correct, so nothing I say matters.

Good luck with your problem.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

So that Lenovo is poorly designed as well? This is a CPU issue. I can reflash to the original firmware which did not have the issue, Management Engine is still stuck for 30 seconds.

I bet you 100$ that if I desolder the CPU and solder it on a different motherboard the problem will persist. I suspect some fuse switched in the CPU ME.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Good luck desoldering the processor.   Many have tried it, and most suffered mental issues afterwards.  So, go ahead, and have $100 waiting for me.  Of course, you will void the warranty on your device.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

I think you are the only troll here. I regularly pay for the BGA rework of old motherboards. Warranty is not an issue here.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, no, no...  No name calling.  That is against the rules.   So, you regularly remove BGA processors?  I am beginning to see the problem.   Still, prove me wrong.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

Then please, behave yourself.

Next to me is ThinkPad X230 with i7-3615qe with which was never manufactured.

If Management Engine is not loading and the CPU is stuck for 30 seconds doing god know who, how is it anybody else's issue than Intel's? I would cut Management Engine from BIOS completely, but the machine would shut after 30 minutes because Intel thinks it is funny.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not know where you got the "funny" part.   I am not an Intel employee or contractor.

This is a community support forum.   You will not get any support for your issue, as now you have disclosed desoldering BGA processors and insist that is ok to reinstall them   We have no idea of what you have done, or damaged, and you want an answer.  It looks like you have created a problem, and are trying to make it someone else's problem. 

Stop your crazy customization builds.   You have painted yourself into a corner with this one. 

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

I don't know why else would Intel program a machine to shut after 30 minutes if the management engine signature is not present.

What is not normal about desoldering and resoldering BGA processors?

I want an answer to a specific problem. What causes Management Engine to be stuck 30 seconds on boot and how to recover from it. If you don't know, then why are you commenting? The guy in the other thread didn't do anything special as well. This is not related to my machine or what I think about soldering BGA processors.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Poor design and customization is the problem, and you will not admit it.

Your problem, you solve it.

0 Kudos
radomirpolach
Novice

You make absolutely no sense, I am muting you.

Also, poor design of ME, maybe.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Whatever.

0 Kudos