Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel Memory Controller - i7-7820x - trouble with RAM being usable and quad channel

DSuh0
Beginner

Hello, my system listed below is having trouble with memory detection and usage. Currently the system refuses to recognize the 4x8GB RAM sticks. Win10/CPU-Z/memtest86 all only detect 2 of the sticks and thus default to dual channel even when all four are installed in the correct slots. The strange thing is my motherboard in the BIOS sees all four sticks. Please note I have been having no problems until recently and I bought this processor/motherboard/RAM combo since it launched in 2017

I have tested the 4x8 kit on other boards and they detect fine. Also I have run memtest86 when on this new board and they are fine. (Granted Im running these tests on a secondary Z390 board with i7-8700k). I have also tried a second set of 4x8 G.Skill ram and they also exhibit the same behavior.

I have reached out to the mobo manufacturer and they are pointing to the integrated memory controller as the culprit. I have run the Int Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passes all the tests including the IMC test.

My question is how reliable is this tool and is there anything further I can do short of getting another CPU to test in the board in order to verify the CPU/IMC is working?

Thank you,

CPU: i7-7820x

Mobo: X299 Gigabyte Gaming 7 -

RAM: GSkill 4x8GB DDR4 CL14@3200

SSDs: 512GB Plextor NVMe - 480GB Crucial - 2TB Micron

PSU: Seasonic X750

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
DSuh0, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. The proper memory RAM for the Intel® Core™ i7-7820X is DDR4-2666, please make sure that the memory RAM is running at 2666MHz as the maximum value, I can see in your report that they work at 3200MHz as well, but that will be too high for the processor to handle and a problem like this might occur. For this type of scenario, we recommend to test each of the memory RAM sticks individually in all the memory RAM slots available in the board. At this point, it is hard to make sure if the source of the problem is the memory controller in the processor, the memory slots in the board or the memory RAM sticks themselves. The fact that the processor passed the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test indicates that the processor is working fine since that is a very reliable tool. Additionally, since the memory RAM sticks are working fine on a different board, that should indicate that they are fine also, taking under consideration that you ran the memtest86 and they passed the tests. Do you have the option to test your board with a different processor or test your processor on a different board? There might be a local PC repair store close to you where they might be able to do that for you. Now, we can also replace the processor for you, if you are interested in that option, please get in contact directly with the local Intel® customer support department in your region via chat or email you can always make a reference to this thread in there: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
DSuh0, If you need further assistance, please let us know. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos