Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel Performance Maximizer-Confirm it Made Changes?

MarkManner
Novice

I have a new i9-10980XE system, see info in attached screenshots.  I haven't made any changes to the system, which had a max turbo speed of 3.8 GH when I received it from Velocity Micro.  I ran Intel Performance Maximizer on the system, and it reports an increase from 3.8 to 4.7 GH (see screenshot). My question is how do I know that it has made the change to increase the speed? If I run task manager, it still shows operating at 3.8 GH  (screen shot attached).   I am an decades long PC user, but haven't done any overclocking, so I'm ignorant about this to say the least.
Thanks for the advice,

Mark

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @MarkManner

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Intel® Performance Maximizer is a Microsoft Windows-based processor-core overclocking tool that automatically tests and configures the maximum overclocking performance capability of the processor. When the tests complete, the Intel® Performance Maximizer software automatically reboots the system back to Windows, the stable overclocking settings are applied, and the results are displayed to the end-user. This tool is constantly doing updates and modifying CPU frequencies based on system analysis.

Higher CPU frequencies may be observed if the system is in an idle state or if it is not under heavy workload/high demanding tasks. In this case, we may run a CPU stress test to check the CPU frequency and CPU behavior.

Please perform a CPU stress test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). If needed, download and install the Intel® XTU app from this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

Then launch Intel® XTU, go to "Stress Test" and check "CPU Stress Test", you may leave the default timer (5 minutes) and then click on "Start Testing".

During the test, please keep also the Windows® Task Manager showing the "Performance tab" >> CPU. Please monitor CPU frequency and take some screenshots during the test making sure you capture both tools: Intel® XTU and Task Manager, for instance, side by side. Please upload the screenshots to this thread.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @MarkManner

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Intel® Performance Maximizer is a Microsoft Windows-based processor-core overclocking tool that automatically tests and configures the maximum overclocking performance capability of the processor. When the tests complete, the Intel® Performance Maximizer software automatically reboots the system back to Windows, the stable overclocking settings are applied, and the results are displayed to the end-user. This tool is constantly doing updates and modifying CPU frequencies based on system analysis.

Higher CPU frequencies may be observed if the system is in an idle state or if it is not under heavy workload/high demanding tasks. In this case, we may run a CPU stress test to check the CPU frequency and CPU behavior.

Please perform a CPU stress test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). If needed, download and install the Intel® XTU app from this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

Then launch Intel® XTU, go to "Stress Test" and check "CPU Stress Test", you may leave the default timer (5 minutes) and then click on "Start Testing".

During the test, please keep also the Windows® Task Manager showing the "Performance tab" >> CPU. Please monitor CPU frequency and take some screenshots during the test making sure you capture both tools: Intel® XTU and Task Manager, for instance, side by side. Please upload the screenshots to this thread.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

MarkManner
Novice

I run further tests later and provide. Here is the Support Utility output

0 Kudos
MarkManner
Novice

Hi, final post here, as I am now getting the results I would have expected. For some reason, the first time I ran IPM, although it indicated that changes had been made when the run completed, no changes were apparently made to the system, and it remained at a 38 multiplier rather than the 47 that the IPM determined was correct for the overclock.  I re-ran IPM today, and after running it this time, was able to see that the CPU speed was now reported as 4.68GHz in Task Manager, as well as in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.  Not sure why it didn't make changes on the first run, but the system is now operating as expected, with improved benchmarks and successful stress test results. Updated scan results attached, as well as task manager screen showing speed.

Thanks for the help,

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @MarkManner

Thank you for your response and for your feedback.

We are glad to know that after re-running Intel® Performance Maximizer now you are getting the expected results. We also checked the report and everything seems to be fine (latest BIOS, latest Windows® version, etc).

Having said that, and since the thread has been marked as "Solved" and the processor shows improved benchmarks and successful stress test results, we will proceed to close this inquiry now.

If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.