Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel Performance Maximizer Error: Failed to create partition

cmart49
Novice

I have a brand new 9900k that I wanted to utilize the Intel Performance Maxmizer to overclock. However, I receive the same error each time I try to, despite having more than enough space to create a 16gb partition.

After being asked "Are you sure if you want to shrink your partition [C:NTFS 465.16GB[132.54 GB free]]" the following error appears: "Failed to create partition. Unable to shrink partition. Please check your disk and try again."

Screenshot attached.

PC specs:

BIOS drivers are updated, all settings were set to optimized defaults before installing IPM. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

cmart49, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Which Windows* 10 version are you using, is it 1809?

Did you install Windows* using a GPT drive? GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks use Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) allowing you to have more than 4 partitions on each disk, this is needed for the tool to run properly.

Additionally, there are some BIOS requirements:

• BIOS needs to be in default unlocked configuration
  • Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology must be enabled
  • Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 must be enabled
  • Boot mode must be UEFI
  • Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology must be enabled
  • Intel® Watchdog timer driver must be enabled

In order to confirm those details you can always get in contact directly with Gigabyte for them to verify those settings in the BIOS:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Please let us know if despite the fact that the PC complies with all those requirements the problem persists so we can further assist you.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
cmart49
Novice

Thanks for the response, Alberto. I am running Windows 1809, and indeed installed Windows using a GPT drive (screenshot attached).

I went into my BIOS settings and confirmed that i'm booting UEFI and the other settings are enabled. Some of them were set to AUTO, so I changed them to Enabled with no success.

Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

cmart49, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

Yes, one more thing that we can check is, if the latest BIOS version provided by ASUS is the one installed on the board, which is F7:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10#support-dl-bios

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
cmart49
Novice

Alberto, I was able to get the tool to work after creating a 20GB unallocated partition at the end of the drive. Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

cmart49, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that after creating a 20GB unallocated partition the Intel® Performance Maximizer is now up and running and working properly, it should work just fine from now on.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos