Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Intel Performance Maximizer can’t find bootable GPT partition

MShow
Beginner

Hi, I keep getting an error message when trying to run this program. I have Windows 10 on a MBR drive but I have an empty SSD formatted as a GPT drive and my motherboard BIOS is set for both UEFI and legacy boot.

Does my Windows 10 operating system also need to be on a GPT drive?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There are very specific requirements for Performance Maximizer. Read this, especially section 3.2.4: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28772/eng/Intel%20Performance%20Maximizer%20V1.0.3%20User%20Guide.pdf

Also note that boot must be uefi, which means you will also want your boot drive to be GPT.

Doc

0 Kudos
MShow
Beginner

Hi,

Yes I appreciate that there are a number of conditions that need to be satisfied and I have read the PDF file and all the FAQ's and problem solving at the end of the file.

As far as I can tell my BIOS is configured as required by the instructions which also say:-

16GB of Unallocated Hard-drive Storage Space 16 GB of free or unallocated space is required on a non-removable GPT formatted drive to create a partition for exclusive use by Intel® Performance Maximizer software.

No where, that I can see, does it say it has to be on the boot disk.

So your answer to this question is my OS needs to be installed on a GPT partition for this to work? as well as the IPM?

I was under the impression that IPM was effectively a mini OS that works independently of Windows; which is why it needs its own partition.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MShow

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to successfully installed the Intel® Performance Maximizer. If yes, please feel free to share the details of the steps you follow.

If the issue persists, please kindly provide the following information?

1- Processor full model:

2- Windows version and build number:

3- Are you running other overclocking tools either from Intel® or from third-party developers? Please provide details (for instance: Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility - Intel® XTU).

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MShow
Beginner

Hi

1. Intel core i7 9700k processor
  2. Windows 10 pro 64 bit version 1909 build 18363.535
  3. no other tools used.

The IPM software installs onto the windows drive and can be seen in device manager, the issue is that it won’t recognise the GPT partition on a second drive and therefore won’t run.

Regards

Mike Showell

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MShow

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

We will check this behavior further and once we have more information available we will be posting back in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MShow

Thank you very much for your patience in this matter, we would like to update this thread with more details.

It is worth mentioning that we have confirmed the issue that you have reported and for now, it is required to install Intel® Performance Maximizer on a GPT bootable partition.

Your feedback has been taken into consideration and we really appreciate it. Thanks to this, we will include it in the new Intel® Performance Maximizer coming release.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos