Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Intel Processor Affecting Windows Restore Points

LakotaPete
Beginner

My HP processor is listed as  Intel Core i5-10400 CPU @2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 cores, 12 Logical P...

For the last 4-6 months my Restore Points are being deleted.  I have done everything I can find online to prevent this, even had a Microsoft agent working on it, with no success.  One author suggested that Turbo Boosters can cause this problem.  I have never added any such boosters.  My question: Is there anything in the processor driver that could be causing the deletion of these Restore Points.  I am running Window 10, fully up to date.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

This is a windows issue as far as I know... nothing to do with the CPU... You need to check it with Microsoft...

0 Kudos
LakotaPete
Beginner

Thanks megan but as I said in my original post I have been working with Microsoft with no success.  I want to chase down every remote possibility so that I can assure Microsoft that there is a real problem with their OS.

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

Ok... let me add more on this... Windows manages the restore points and it will delete the older ones to make space for new ones... It is said after 90 days, the restore point is deleted...

Another cause could be if you set Disk Space Usage setting to a very small value and the allocated space is already full...

megan3000_0-1662588139883.png

Or, maybe your drive has limited space and can no longer hold the Restore points...

Others say this could be due to corruption on the system restore files or that Windows updates are causing this issue as they exhaust the allocated space for restore points (we know that windows is constantly pushing updates)

I have seen this on several Microsoft forums and (most of all) the "evidence" points out Windows as the issue...

Also, not sure what you meant by Turbo Boosters... there are no drivers for the CPU (drivers are only provided for the graphics component integrated on the CPU)... I think you meant USB Turbo Boosters... I'm not sure but I'd think they should come from the USB device you're using or from the motherboard (I couldn't find much about that...)

I don't think you meant "Intel Turbo boost technology"... and if you did, that's completely different and I cannot see how it would have an effect on the restore points on the system... it doesn't make sense to me...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Adding to what @megan3000 says,  it is also known that various windows updates will turn OFF restore points.  I have seen this behaviour in the past.   Windows has gotten much better at not doing this, but it still happens.   It pays to check your machine(s) regulary or after Windows update.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
LakotaPete
Beginner

Thanks.  The updates do delete existing Restore Points and create a new one.  The problem I, and many others are having, is the auto deletion of Restore Points within a matter of hours after they have be manually created.

As I said in my original post, I have read all there is to find online about this issue and tried all the solutions.  I am not a computer engineer and have very little knowledge of how the internal operations of a PC.  My processor question came about because of the Turbo  Booster as a potential cause and my processor has Turbo in its name.  Please excuse my naivete.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@LakotaPete    As I said before, I have observed certain windows updates turning off restore points.   While Microsoft has passed the buck on this, you are doing the same to Intel.

When the processor and/or turbo boost starts acting on its own and taking decisions such as deletion of files or restore points, we are in deep, deep doo-doo.  While you say "many others" are experiencing this issue, you are the first to bring it up that I know of.  And, if restore points are being deleted, it would be well worth Microsoft's interest to investigate this throughly.  

Wasn't there a sci-fi movie made about such processors?  

Have you considered that some malware might be responsible for this behaviour?  If I really wanted to impact the user so they could not recover from malware, I would turn off and/or delete restore points so as to prevent recovery.

0 Kudos
LakotaPete
Beginner

I do apologize for having offended you by posting my question.  I am not sure how I could be "passing the buck" to Intel, I only wanted to check with you experts to make sure nothing associated with the processor would have any bearing on this issue.

You are correct in thinking the first step malware would do would be to delete the Restore Points.  I have had Malwarebytes Premium on my system for many years and they assure me during their multiple daily scans that there is no malware on my system. In addition, I have continuous backup to the cloud via Carbonite.  Without any Restore Points I can always reinstall Window and restore my backup.

I will now withdraw from this esoteric community and not bother you any more.  I am nearing my 89th birthday and while I do a lot on my PC I would much rather be enjoying my grandkids.  Thank you all for your kind assistance.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not offended in the least, so do not worry about that.

"they assure me during their multiple daily scans that there is no malware on my system".  Well, none that they know of.  It is the malware that is not known that is the problem.

After your monthly MS updates, or upgrades, check to see if restore points have been magically turned off.  MS will not admit that this happens, but a search on their suppor site and net will tell a different story.

0 Kudos
LakotaPete
Beginner

megan, thanks again.  Please know that I have faithfully done all that is needed to create Restore Points.  They have been working fine for many years but sometime this year the auto deletion of the Restore Points started.  Note the attached Word document that has screenshots of this issue.  Shortly after the last screen shot, all of the Restore Points were deleted.

0 Kudos