Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Intel Processor I/O PCI Express for 8th Gen

SakthiSanthosh_

Hello,

I'm Sandy from India. I have a HP laptop with Intel 8th generation i5-8250U processor. I installed Intel Processor I/O PCI Express firmware for my device from official HP website. But it was installed for 6/7th gen processors. I have attached the images below. Kindly let me know whether there is I/O firmware available for 8th gen processors. Thank you.

Regards,

Sandy.

Intel 6th/7th Gen I/O PCI Express Installed on My ComputerIntel 6th/7th Gen I/O PCI Express Installed on My Computer

System Information Showing 8th Gen ProcessorSystem Information Showing 8th Gen Processor

0 Kudos
1 Solution
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

This is actually correct, the i5-8250U is a Kaby Lake R architecture, so it will have the 6th/7th Gen I/O:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/126287/products-formerly-kaby-lake-r.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

This is actually correct, the i5-8250U is a Kaby Lake R architecture, so it will have the 6th/7th Gen I/O:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/126287/products-formerly-kaby-lake-r.html

0 Kudos
SakthiSanthosh_

Hello @powerarmour,

Checked the links you attached. Thanks for clearing my doubt.

Regards,

Sandy.

powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

No problem, but yes it can be slightly confusing when Intel's 8th gen CPU line actually contains three different architectures (Kaby Lake R/G, Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake).

This unfortunately relates to Windows 11 requirements at the moment, as Microsoft's definition of what an 8th gen Intel CPU is, is different to what Intel's marketing says it is...

0 Kudos
SakthiSanthosh_

Hello powerarmour,

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Sandy.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I believe that @powerarmour is correct, but there is one way to check. Do the following:

1. Download the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) package for your system from your vendor's site or from downloadcenter.intel.com.
  2. Extract this contents of this package (it's a ZIP file) to a temporary folder.
  3. Open a Command Prompt or PowerShell window.
  4. Make the temporary folder the current folder.
  5. Execute command ".\SetupChipset.exe /overall". This forces a complete reinstall of all component entries.
  6. When it completes, reboot.
  7. Check if the devices and descriptions were updated by this operation.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
SakthiSanthosh_

Hello @n_scott_pearson,

The official Intel website that @powerarmour attached shows that my processor has the same Kaby Lake architecture. Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,

Sandy.

0 Kudos