Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14502 Discussions

Intel Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820 CPU @ 3.30GHz for Windows 11

FynDara
Beginner

Hello,

I have this processor in my PC:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820 CPU @ 3.30GHz

When I run Microsoft's application to see if my PC can be upgraded to Windows 11 the following message appears in the results:

FynDara_0-1648666454116.png

When I look up the minimum CPU requirements for Windows 11 

• Processors/CPUs (Central Processing Units): 1 Ghz or faster with 2 or more cores and appearing on our list of approved CPUs. The processor in your PC will be a main determining factor for running Windows 11. The clock speed (the 1 Ghz or faster requirement) and number of cores (2 or more) are inherent to the processor design as it was manufactured and are not considered upgradable components.

My CPU is 3 times faster than the minimum requirement and it has 6 cores.

Why doesn't (and will it ever) my processor  appear in the list of approved CPUs for Windows 11?

Thank you,

~ Basticar

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Microsoft has decided to support only 8th gen processors and above, with a few 7th gen processors allowed (for their laptops).

You have not looked at the list of supported processors:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

And, while you think your processor qualifies, there are other requirements, like PTT/TPM and Virtualization-Based Security (VBS). 

Now, you can still run Windows 11, but at your own risk.   Personally, I see nothing needed in Windows 11.  And, Windows 10 is supported until 2025.  But, if you insist, have at it.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-back-off-requirements-windows-11

Do not complain if you have problems, or Microsoft decides to pull the rug out from under you.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

FynDara
Beginner

Hello AlHill,

Thank you for your response.  I did look at the list of processors and mine is not in it, so I'm missing why I should look there.  Apparently, in any case, I cannot upgrade to Windows 11 on my PC.  I am sad, because I selected all 'top of the line' components and paid quite a lot to purchase my Alienware Area 51 PC.  I won't be buying another anytime soon. Not pleased that it already cannot meet minimum requirements for the next Windows upgrade.

~ FynDara

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should complain to Microsoft.  It is their list and they decided what to support.  

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your system is 7 generations into the past. 7 Generations = 7 Years. Anyone expecting full support for this long is only fooling themselves; you simply aren't going to get it. Your warranty is long over (it was likely 3 years or perhaps less). 

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos