Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Intel Processor driver

Tas37
Beginner

Hello!

I have an Intel i5-8250U Processor then why does the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers show Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family?

Have attached screenshots for your kind reference.

Will appreciate a reply.

Regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This happens all the time. The issue is that, if a device within the chipset doesn't need to change from one generation to another, then the ids for the device remain the same. Unfortunately, when you rely on Windows to update this information, it loads the first record that matches the device, not necessarily the most-recent record. To fix this (which is just a label issue), do the following:

1. Download this version of the Intel Chipset Device Software package: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27998/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-NUC8i7BE-NUC8i5BE-NUC8i3BE. This is closest version I could find to that for your processor.
  2. Unzip this file to a temporary folder.
  3. Open a Command Prompt or PowerShell window. 
  4. Set this temporary folder as being the current folder.
  5. Execute this command: ".\SetupChipset.exe -overall"
  6. Close the window.
  7. Delete the temporary folder.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Test.

The "-overall" parameter causes the package to re-enumerate every device. This will reset the description string and the date for the device definition.

Hope this helps,

...S

Tas37
Beginner

Hey Scott,

Thank you for your reply but that didn't help. It' still the same.

Only difference is in Device Manager now I get the option of 2 drivers Standard SATA AHCI Controller and the Intel 6th generation. When I click on Update Driver it goes back to the Intel 6th generation one.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, this means I went too far back in the package stream. Go to your motherboard vendor's site and see whether they have a newer version of the Intel Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) and try the same installation methodology with that version.

...S

0 Kudos