Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14538 Discussions

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5118 CPU @ 2.30GHz Ubuntu AVX Support Problem

ozenozerr
Beginner

My physical server has an Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5118 CPU model processor and Vmware Vsphere 7.0 is installed on the server. When I installed ubuntu 22.04 virtually, it seems that the cpu does not support AVX support.

But when I control it from a virtual windows device, AVX appears to be enabled.

Is this CPU not supported in Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paul_R_Intel

Hello ozenozerr,

Thank you for joining the community,

OS compatibility is not defined by the Intel® Xeon® processor or a server's chipset, but it is dependent on the operating systems supported by the server motherboard or system. The motherboard or system manufacturer will validate certain operating systems with the motherboard or system and provide drivers for the supported operating systems.

We recommend you to Contact your server system or motherboard manufacturer (original equipment manufacturer or OEM) for OS compatibility information. If you encounter issues when using one of the OEM's supported operating systems, ensure that you have the latest BIOS firmware and drivers installed from the OEM.

If you are using an Intel® Server Board or Intel® Server System please let us know the model and visit the specific product support website for your Intel® Server Product for OS compatibility information here:

You can as well verified the Instructions Set Extensions supported here: 

Intel® SSE4.2

Intel® AVX

Intel® AVX2

Intel® AVX-512 

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you, I will be waiting for your response, in case we do not hear from you, we are going to follow up on the 7th.

Regards  

Paul R.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:  

https://intel.com/support/serverbios  

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello ozenozerr,

I hope you are doing great, we were wondering if you still need further support, if we do not hear from you we will mark this thread as closed on the 20th.

Regards  

Paul R.  

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:  

https://intel.com/support/serverbios  

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello ozenozerr,

I hope you are doing great, we were wondering if you still need further support from our end, as we have not heard back from you we will proceed to mark thread as closed, for further support please contact the server manufacturer for OS support.

Regards  

Paul R.  

0 Kudos