Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Intel-SA-00086

TNils
Beginner

Hello

Regarding Intel-SA-00086

If the manufacturer of the motherboard does not provide a patch for this bug, what can be done?

From what I understand, firewalling does not help to protect from a hacker gaining access, but would it help with an external firewall/router?

Intel-SA-00086
0 Kudos
23 Replies
JOver1
Beginner

Yes, my system IS old but it does everything that I need it to do very well.

Do you have any idea as to what or how the HAP parameter/feature would be named in the extended BIOS ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I don't have any clue. I have never worked with a BIOS that supported it. Perhaps Intel Customer Support can contact the BIOS Security Team and find out.

...S

0 Kudos
TNils
Beginner

No worries Scott !

Ok, well, one of the computers was only supposed to do work for me and running scripts all day long. Nobody will be using the computer and it will have no services besides port 80 open so I would not be to concerned about it if blocking the web-access port will be effective for blocking network attacks.

But I tell you, finding fan-less mini-computers (as these are) with good performance is hard- and once you go fan-less you don't want to go back. Thats kind of the biggest issue to be hones. I mean, there are thousands of computers to choose from if I were to get new ones, but to find something that has the kind of performance they are selling and is completely silent seems impossible. Usually its like J1900 or some Atom CPU compared to i3/i5 or i7 from China. Going from a 1037U to i3 was a big step up and big difference in performance.

Anyway, I've tried to the best of my ability to contact them, even tried getting in contact with them through their forum ( http://forum.topminipc.com/ topminipc.com - Index page ) but it seems the moderator has to approve all messages before they are posted, and since my message isn't showing up I'm guessing they are removing it to avoid the issue. I'm baffled that a company would act like this and tho I very much like the fan-less models I really regret buying them. Such a mess.

0 Kudos