Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS 15 9570 -- How to correct?

JOliv75
Beginner

My current project is stymied because SGX is not initializing properly.

SERVICE STATUS

On the notebook in question (details below), it occurred exactly ONCE (out of 1,758 events) in the Event Viewer, SGX/Admin event log that a “Critical” error happened described as “AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup”. Since this only happened once, I don’t see it as highly significant.

However, there are frequent “Warning”s to the effect that “AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error”. {DAL = Dynamic Application Loader (the DAL HIS is, I believe, installed by the Intel Management Engine installer)} Most log entries say, “AESMService: Platform Services initializing” OR “AESM Service started”. Unfortunately, it appears to be the case that the most recent entry in the event list is always an initialization failure warning … so SGX seems to be perpetually in a non-operative state, even though the service is listed as running,

Another rare error is this one: “AESMService: White List update failed due to network error”. I expect that could happened when I am offline; if it were a problem when I was connected, I would expect to see this error frequently.

SYSTEM DETAILS

Intel SGX is enabled in the BIOS and set to allocate 128 MB (I notice in the Task Manager that the Intel SGX Application Enclave Services Manager is using between 0.3 MB & 2.5 MB depending on when I look). [No running process has allocated to itself 128 MB of RAM (although arguably SGX RAM isn’t listed here).]

The Windows Device Manager, under “System devices” lists the 'Intel Software Guard Extensions Device' (driver 2.5.100.2 dated 9/19/2019) – there are no flags; the device is working properly.

Prior to an Intel driver update, the “Intel SGX Application Enclave Service (AESM)” was shown to be running.

Currently, the “Intel SGX AESM” service is listed as running.

According to the Event Viewer’s SGX/Diagnostic informational entries, the AESM Service PSW vs. is 2.5.101.3 (this is Intel’s latest release, dated 11/22/2019).

Troublesome machine is a Dell XPS 15 9570 (2018) notebook computer with a 59 Hz UHD IPS @ 3840 x 2160 monitor, BIOS 1.15.0 dated 25Dec2019, released 14Jan2020, 32GB DDR4.

The CPU is an 8th gen. Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.20+ GHz, Coffee Lake chipset, Intel UHD Graphics 630 [driver vs. 25.20.100.7262].

The machine is also equipped with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q board, but Intel is the default GPU.

OS: Windows 10 10.0.18362.628 (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

[I gather that this = the May 2019 Update, “Version 1903”]

I approached Microsoft about this issue and they were worse than useless. I hope an Intel services expert can guide me towards a solution.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JOliv75

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding the issues described, it is worth mentioning that the Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX) drivers available on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ are valid for Intel systems (Intel NUCs, Intel Server boards, etc.) and every original equipment manufacturer (OEM), for instance, HP*, Lenovo*, Dell*, etc, must provide their own Intel® SGX drivers for their systems.

In this case, what we recommend you is to install the Intel® SGX driver directly from your OEM website (Dell*) and if the issue persists, we recommend to contact them and shared all the details and Event Viewer messages with Dell support for further assistance.

You may find the drivers for the Dell XPS 15 9570 in the below link*:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9570-laptop/drivers

It is worth noting that the proper channel of support for this issue is through your OEM. Despite the driver says "Intel", every OEM must provide their own Intel SGX driver and they should provide the support for debugging and in case any issue is found then they should address it.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos