Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel Spec sheet error?

D-Rail
New Contributor I

Is the intel spec sheet for my Core i5 5200U (laptop) incorrectly written? I know it is a discontinued processor, but I need some information. Under PCI Express Configurations, it states 4x1, 2x4. One line above it states PCI Express Revision 2.0. And right below is stated Max # of PCI Express Lanes 12. Therefore, why is one Configuration 4x1 and the other 2x4.? I thought (wrongly, perhaps) that the Revision number came first and the number of lanes second. In the spec sheet write-up, is the first number referring to how many slots are available by how many lanes(second number)?

Also, on my computer motherboard, the manufacturer looks to have put in an M.2, M-key slot/socket (5 pin). Although intel states this CPU as PCI Express Revision 2.0, does this mean I could put a PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME in this slot??? A bit confused.

If anyone is up for a small challenge, I can submit other system information. Help please.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @D-Rail 

I wanted to double-check this one for you.

As per the processor's official datasheet document (not just a brief site) the only supported PCI express revision is 2.0 (page 11). To further confirm, the official I/O datasheet only explicitly calls for PCI express 2.0 support (page 54).

I already requested the information on the conflicting site that states the processor supports PCI Express 3.0 to be corrected.

I hope this information helps, and thank you very much for taking your time reporting this issue to us.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello D-Rail,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

To better assist you I would appreciate it if you could provide more details about your system.

Or please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) link

1.      Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

3.      Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

4.      To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
D-Rail
New Contributor I

Esteban, Thank you for your reply. Gathering info. Will also run scan you suggested as well and will include results. Be back to you as soon as possible.  D

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello D-Rail, 

Thank you for the update. 

We will be waiting for your response to proceed with the assistance. 

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
D-Rail
New Contributor I

Hi Esteban,

So, I began this thread because I wasn't sure if my particular Intel Spec Sheet had an error on it or not (regarding the PCIe information) and then when I did a search for ‘chipset’, I couldn’t seem to find it on the Intel website. Now, after my internet university (joking) crash course on computer architecture advancements -specifically on PCIe, M.2, NVMe, NGFF, AHCI, SATA, mSATA, etc....my original concern/question about the Intel Spec Sheet and my computer remains with further requests.

Hopefully, I can now be a bit more focused (and clear) in what I am trying to say.

First, let me try to state more clearly what my goal is and then look at all the potential points (or issues) that may need to be addressed/overcome to determine if my goal is achievable whether it be completely, partially, or not at all.

GOAL: I hope/want/wish to install an NVMe Drive in this computer for which I am including the scan you requested.

Questions:

Does my system have a M.2, PCIe, M-Keyed (NVMe compatible) slot?

Is my system PCIe Gen 2.0? or 3.0?

If my system is Gen 2.0, is there a ‘simple’ way to make it Gen 3.0?

Are there any outstanding issues with my Intel CORE i5 Processor/chipset regarding PCIe functionality that needs to be addressed? (I have questions regarding Intel's 'erratum' concerning the Core i5.)

I have included some URL info below. (p.s. I apologize for this being so long and wordy.).

From what I have gathered, NVMe Drives use (require) PCIe architecture/technology. NVMe is designed to be "backward" compatible with older PCIe generations. Current PCIe generations are 'kind of' at gen 3.0 and 4.0. The 'majority' of current NVMe Drives were designed for the PCIe gen 3.0 architecture.

[ This is where my problem/concern began. ]

In trying to get information on my system, neither NEC nor their support group (121ware) would answer my questions. As I began to read and study, I found that Intel's chips are an essential component of the PCIe issue I was facing, although, the issue -at the time- seemed to be more a question about NEC's Motherboard.

On the motherboard, I found an 'unlabeled' port which completely matched what a PCIe 2280, M-Keyed slot should be. No lock down screw was provided, but I figure this was simply a cost saving reason.

As I searched for confirmation about what this slot is via my computer’s User’s Manual, (I still haven't been able to confirm it is a PCIe slot), I realized I also needed to confirm whether my system was Generation 3.0 or not.

To try and get the necessary information I sought, I used “msinfo32” command on the Windows 8.1 OS, “SPECCY” app, and “CPUID CPU-Z” app, GPU-Z app, the User’s Manual for my computer and the internet (Intel website and others).

At this time, I am fairly certain that my system is PCIe Gen 2.0 -even though I have two Intel Spec Sheets (URL's below) that say I have each -2.0 and 3.0. I was (am) hoping that maybe I am mistaken or that perhaps, short of buying a new computer, that maybe there is some way (drivers, BIOS, CPU, etc.) to bump this system up to Gen 3.0 (I know this is probably wishful thinking on my part.) This system will be used for high-end graphics and 4K video editing, IF it can be upgraded at all.

If this system is Gen 2.0 AND IF the slot is a PCIe, M-Keyed slot, it is my understanding that I could put an NVMe Drive in it, but unless there is a Gen 2.0 NVMe Drive available, a Gen 3.0 NVMe Drive could be used, but it would run slower than its stated speed. IF this system can run an NVMe Drive and it is faster than a SATA SSD Drive, then I will get an NVMe Drive.

However, I am hoping that you can clarify my system's capabilities and address any issues than might exist due to any CORE i5 "erratum" that might affect/interfere with using the PCIe/NVMe architecture/technology. (I have listed some erratum from the Intel PDF file below, along with its URL.

[ IF any issues do exist, are there any work-arounds?, driver/BIOS updates?, etc. that may help resolve them? ]

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/5th-gen-core-family-spec-update.html

I felt that their might have been some issues ( ?) with some of the chips design (?). I am referring to the "errata" points, e.g., BDM 17- 20, 24, 26, etc. I am only stating a few, but I was simply wondering if these I have listed or any others that are listed in the PDF report file could affect the end goal I have stated above.

I was in the process of looking for ‘chipset’ information here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html#@PanelLabel98455

because of something I had read about a ‘U’ family series (?), but one other website said I had an ‘H’ family series (?). I am not even sure if it was accurate or if it is relevant.. I never fully figured this out, nor which chipset it was supposed to be. (Is it a different chipset than this:

( Chipset: FCBGA1168 (Broadwell-U) ver. 09
Southbridge: Broadwell-U PCH L-P ver.03
Socket: 1168 BGA )

This is how I stumbled on these other two Intel URLs in learning about my Processor/Architecture. As you can see, there MUST be something wrong between the

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/85212/intel-core-i5-5200u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-2-70-ghz.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-5200u.html

One says PCIe 3.0 and the other PCIe 2.0, etc.. I really hope my system is 3.0, but good luck seldom falls my way.

Can you help me understand what my system is?, what I can do -if anything- to upgrade this system with updates, drivers, BIOS, etc. that may improve it? Does it have a PCIe slot? Could I put a PCIe 3.0 NVMe Drive in it (though it might run slower) or would it only be equal in speed to a SATA SSD?

I hope you can help me.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello D-Rail,

Thank you so much for your response and the complete information provided.

We will review the report and the additional details in order to provide and answer to your concerns.

I will update this thread as soon as possible 

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
D-Rail
New Contributor I

Esteban, To say that I am less than pleased with the answer/reply I got would be an understatement! I, specifically, pointed out that Intel had produced TWO spec sheets for my CPU which had one saying it was PCIe 2.0 while the other said 3.0. I asked for clarification, but did not get one. Also, in the reply, I was re-directed back to my O.E.M., EVEN THOUGH I had already explained that they would NOT respond to my earlier attempts with them. Intel might do well to request system/motherboard information for answering customers' questions as a partt of 'going the extra step' to keep us happy, repeat buyers. You might to pass this on to your bosses. A database of 'mobo' info wouldn't be difficult to set up, or maintain. D-Rail

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @D-Rail 

I wanted to double-check this one for you.

As per the processor's official datasheet document (not just a brief site) the only supported PCI express revision is 2.0 (page 11). To further confirm, the official I/O datasheet only explicitly calls for PCI express 2.0 support (page 54).

I already requested the information on the conflicting site that states the processor supports PCI Express 3.0 to be corrected.

I hope this information helps, and thank you very much for taking your time reporting this issue to us.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

D-Rail
New Contributor I

RonaldM,

Thank you for the update. Should I also accept this as the “Solution”? Or will you close this? Since I opened this issue, I don’t know if I need to “Accept as Solution” your response. If you can close it, please do so.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

I'll go ahead and mark it as the solution and close this one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide confirmation.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
D-Rail
New Contributor I

No problem. Thanks for taking care of it. Now, if only I could turn things like this into a self-supporting, money-making enterprise, I’d be a happy camper!

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello D-Rail,

Thank you so much for your patience. 

After checking all the information provided, there are several things to take in consideration.

First, you need to confirm from the motherboard manufacturer the following information: 

• PCIe Gen.
  • Compatibility information about PCIe, M-Keyed and if the port is available. 

As this is an OEM device, we need to check with the manufacturer for the hardware limitations, available ports and supported/compatibles devices to be installed in the computer.

To answer your questions, correct, PCIe expansion slot is backward compatible. However, the bandwidth would be limited to the capabilities of the lower generation. 

We need to keep in mind that the board manufacturer is the one who provides updates (BIOS, chipset, etc) for a better functionality and performance of the device.

And for sure, some updates may improve the NVMe protocol of the device.

• BIOS updates: May include new and improved support for the NVMe protocol.

• Chipset updates: May include new and improved support for the NVMe protocol.

Keep in mind that you processor supports a Max # of PCI Express Lanes of 12. And the manufacturer establishes how those Lanes are distributed along with the other components already installed in the device.

In my opinion, your concern is more related to the hardware capabilities and bandwidth in your laptop. Therefore, my recommendation to confirm would be to confirm those additional details with the computer manufacturer.

That being said, we consider that you would need direct assistance from your manufacturer to best answer your concerns. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos