Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel Speed Shift technology doenst work how expected! i7 8850H

honzulas
Beginner

Hey.

If Intel Speed Shift is turned on then is CPU clocking still on the highest frequencies (despite on constant minimum ussage of CPU!). CPU heats like fool.

If i turn down this technology in Bios then is CPU power controlled by Windows itself (By Intel SpeedStep technology). In this case is clocking very reasonable! See attached picture.

Attached picture measured aproximately 2 minutes without load CPU (without any ussage). Power profile setting Minimum CPU = 0%, Maximum CPU = 100%

Whats wrong with it? Unique CPU bug, system CPU bug?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
honzulas
Beginner

*Attached picture measured aproximately 2 minutes without load CPU (without any ussage). Power profile setting Minimum CPU = 0%, Maximum CPU = 100%

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi honzulas, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. Intel® Speed Shift Technology: uses hardware-controlled P-states to deliver dramatically quicker responsiveness with single-threaded, transient (short duration) workloads, such as web browsing, by allowing the processor to more quickly select its best operating frequency and voltage for optimal performance and power efficiency. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: is an advanced means of enabling high performance while meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems. Conventional Intel SpeedStep® Technology switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology builds upon that architecture using design strategies such as Separation between Voltage and Frequency Changes, and Clock Partitioning and Recovery. When you enable just the Intel SpeedStep® Technology the processor will try to save battery energy and the clock speed will be limited to 800MHz. When you enable both, the Intel® Speed Shift Technology and Intel SpeedStep® Technology the processor will not be saving battery energy, and it will reach the max capacity of the clock speed which is 4.30 GHz: https://ark.intel.com/products/134899/Intel-Core-i7-8850H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-30-GHz- You mentioned the processor is getting overheated, the T-junction for this processor is 100°C, any value below that temperature is considered normal and expected: https://ark.intel.com/products/134899/Intel-Core-i7-8850H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4-30-GHz- Based on the picture, we can see that the temperatures values are actually pretty good, the processor is not getting overheated in any of those scenarios, the average temperature value in the chart is between 49°C and 55°C which is expected and normal. Just to let you know, that report belongs to a third party tool, we can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic tool, it does an overall test on the unit including a temperature test, if the processor passed the test then it should be working fine: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
honzulas
Beginner

Hello Alberto.

Thank you for reply. I get it. Also I tested the CPU by intel processor diag tool. It seems to be ok, in all case of test was gap around 20°C. I have one more question. I read it exist some Energy-Performance Preference. It does somehow relate with Speed shift technology?

Im able to enable or disable this technology in Bios, but this parameter is not present to set. I read in internet forums, it somehow set an "agresivity of reaction on load of MCU" of the technology. I believe Intel Speed Shift is valuable. But in my case CPU is still on highest power despite CPU usage is somewhere around 0-3%, consumed by minor background processess.. From my point of view Intel Speed shift should recognize this minor background traffic and should set much lower power... Actually Im aware on background is running really lot of very short transients (mentioned 0-3%) which rise maximal power almost all the time. I believe some other parameter is hidden for me. Does exist some way, how to set this EPP parameter?

Thank you Alberto,

wish you nice day.

Jan

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hello honzulas, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your comments. To get the most accurate information in reference to your questions about the EPP parameter the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the computer directly. They have the option to customized the settings in the BIOS and the features of the computer, so to contact them will be next thing to do. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
honzulas
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

thank you for your support. I think it was really valuable and useful.

Thank you again and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hello honzulas, You are very welcome, I really appreciate your feedback. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again. Have a very nice day as well. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos