Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Intel Turbo Boost Technology NOT activating with my newly installed Windows 10.

idata
Employee

Hello,

I really need help unlocking the Turbo Boost Technology for my newly installed Windows 10 64 Bit operating system.

I upgraded from Windows 7, but I still kept a copy of Windows 7 and all my files on a separate hard drive, which utilizes Turbo Boost Technology to it's full potential of 3.61 Ghz. Yet when I use my Windows 10 hard drive the processor will not go higher than it's standard out of the box speed of 3.33 Ghz.

My Specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/37153/Intel-Core-i7-975-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-3_33-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI?q=i7%20975# @specifications http://ark.intel.com/products/37153/Intel-Core-i7-975-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-3_33-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI?q=i7%20975# @specifications

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Ok thanks man, I'm not ready to give up on my 975 Bloomfield yet lol it's performed quite well since I installed it!

I have faith that there IS a way to unlock the TB! Its funny, I just switched back to my other WD hard drive and W7 and it's turbo boost all day on the monitor and CPU-Z! But when I boot up my W10 HD its stopped like 75% of the way up the monitor. what a drag.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gungoose86,

It is possible to activate Intel Turbo Boost from motherboard BIOS, from the operating system, there are no options to activate or disable it.

Now, Turbo Boost Monitor is not supported on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10; actually, Intel already removed it from Intel Download Center. 4th gen processors and newer are not compatible.

I believe the software is not giving to you the right processor speed. I suggest you run a game or stress test plus open Task Manager, go to Performance tab and review if processor can reach more than 3.33GHz

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

GreyWÜLF 86 Sep 4, 2016 10:58 AM (/message/418849# 418849 in response to wingman99 & INTEL)

As I stated in my earlier post I have CPU-Z and its not going higher than 3.33 Ghz. But in Windows 7 I can get it up to 3.61 Ghz with Turbo Boost. So like, it's really not supported on Windows 10? Geez guys what a drag...

Oh well. Can I overclock the processor? too much of a risk right?

Thanks for the posts, I appreciate you folks taking the time for me.. .

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

You also can use CPU-Z to see what your CPU speed is under load.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gungoose86,

I investigated your issue and there is a compatibility issue between the BIOS and chipset driver (5 series chipset) and Windows 10.There are no drivers and BIOS files.

Windows 10 is fully supported with 7th Series chipset and newer. You were right Windows 10 is not capable of recognizing the processor properly.

Your processor supports overclocking; I suggest you our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) application. Change the processor multiplier.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Regards,

Mike C
idata
Employee

I think you need to be more specific here, since the Intel 7 series chipsets can support both 2nd Generation (Sandy Bridge) and 3rd Generation (Ivy Bridge) Mainstream processors.The Intel 6 series chipsets can work with both the 2nd Generation (Sandy Bridge) and 3rd Generation (Ivy Bridge) Mainstream processors.

Given what has been reported here, it seems to me that Intel processors with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 1.0, are the ones that may not have Turbo boost working, when used with Windows 10. Starting with the 2nd Generation Intel processors, aka Sandy Bridge processors, Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 began being used, instead of Turbo Boost 1.0. The i7-975 used by the OP uses Intel Turbo Boost Technology 1.0, and of course an earlier chipset.

Personally, I would never use CPU-Z as a monitoring tool for checking Turbo boost. CPU-Z displays one CPU/Core frequency, which is inadequate for monitoring Turbo boost. This applies to non-over clocked processors only. Turbo boost does not allow all the cores in a processor to run at the maximum Turbo boost frequency at the same time. Normally only one of the processor cores is allowed to operate at the maximum Turbo frequency. Two processor cores can run at one or two "bins" down from the maximum Turbo frequency. When all the cores in a processor are at high load, they will then all operate at the base clock speed of that processor, without any Turbo boost.

If you want see what your processor cores are running at most of the time, use IXTU or HWiNFO64. The latter will show all of your processor core speeds simultaneously in one display,as well as the core multipliers. Windows own processor speed display is also inadequate for monitoring Turbo boost.

Also, I am skeptical that Windows 10 is preventing Turbo 1.0 from working correctly. If it really is, that is more likely due to an out of date Intel Management Engine software being used in the Windows 10 installation. Turbo control belongs to the processor, not the OS. Multi-tasking and multi-threading belongs to the OS and software. Given how long Windows 10 has been with us, are we only now noticing an issue like this? Or is this a new issue with Windows 10 Anniversary?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi parsec,

You are right 6th series chipsets support 3rd gen processors; however, Intel stopped supporting this generation of chipset, there are no drivers available for Windows 10. Win10 is proving generic drivers.

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK thx man I really appreciate your investigating this compatibility issue between Windows 10, Core i7 975 and my X58 Chipset...

I will try the overclocking tool! Wish me luck...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Very insightful!

I am of the belief that ANYTHING is possible when it comes to Windows...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OMG OMG!

I upgraded my OS to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, and the Turbo boost is working now!!!

Looks like I solved my own problem here but I wanna thank everyone for their help and insight, I learned a lot!

Thanks guys.

-GG86

BTW here is the link for the W10 Anniversary Edition! It worked for me: =)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gungoose86,

That's great, I am glad the new Windows10 version fix the problem.

Thank you for your feedback.

Mike C
0 Kudos