Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Intel Turbo Boost causing crashes/ blue screens

HIm00
Beginner

Hi guys,

Recently I have been having random crashes or BSODs while gaming on my PC. After going the the BIOS and adjust a few options, it seems turning off Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology from my BIOS solved it, but I'm sure it was not supposed to happen in the first place. What can I do to make it not crash under Turbo Boost? I have also reinstalled windows and reset this BIOS settings before.

My PC:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM

Stock cpu cooler (Intel)

Vector G750 CPA-0750GFV-U51

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (ROG STRIX)

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB SATA HDD

Motherboard: GIGABYTE H310M-DS2 (it's also new)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 6/14/2018

Windows version: Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Stopcodes encountered:

APC INDEX MISMATCH

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

Crashdump of a recent crash:

https://pastebin.com/F3kjFBSL

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Thank you for posting on this Community. Depending on the physical memory installed on your computer, your system is prone to instability. First, we recommend checking your memory for errors. Then, try booting your system using one memory stick at the time. If the issue persists, we would like to gather more information. Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report to this thread along with the Intel® System Support Utility report. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool -Intel® System Support Utility 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for your reply. Previously have ran memtest 64 and 86 and came back with no results / all tests passed. My computer has only one stick of 16GB RAM.

Here are the results with Intel Turbo Boost turned off.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Try to monitor the CPU temperature, while gaming with Turbo Boost Technology enabled.
  2. You may monitor the CPU temperature using HWmonitor application https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.40.zip (or, any other application you prefer).

Leon

0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Here is a photo taken of HWmonitor when my PC had a recent crash it was on my second monitor as the bsod was displayed on the 1st).

Thanks in advance!

Hana

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Hana,

1. The temperatures seem to be in permitted range. So, probably the cooling is O.K.
  2. Please download Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, install it and run the test : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F19792%2Feng%2FIPDT_Installer_4.1.1.33_64bit.exe

Leon

0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

The results can be found above in a file I attached called 'test.zip'. Here is another test with Turbo Boost on.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Hana,

Am I wrong, but I see only one file attached. For your information, in this forum you can only attach one file to the post. If you want attach more, you need to archive them into zip file. However, I understand that your computer passed the test also with Turbo Boot enabled ? If the answer is positive, I would try to borrow other memory module (and yes, I'm aware that you conducted memtest).

Leon

0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Hi again,

Sorry, I should have redirected to this post: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006FlDZSA0 where the zip is located.

Regarding 'borrowing other memory module', does this mean i have to test with a different RAM memory stick ?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Thank you for attaching the reports requested. Yes. If you did not receive any blue screens while running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (Intel® Turbo Boost Technology enabled), then we recommend testing another memory module. The blue screen errors you have received usually have to do with a hardware issue (e.g. Memory; Graphics card). Also, since you have received random BSOD while gaming, you can check your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070. Are you overclocking your graphics card? Is this a factory overclocked GeForce RTX 2070? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Were you able to review the steps recommended? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Yesterday did the diagnostic test, and it passed on Standard with no findings. However on doing the test on Extended it got stuck on 20% on the first test no matter how many times I did it. Is there a fault there?

Hana

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Using the Intel® Processor Diagnostic tool, you can run the 'Burning Test' that usually takes more than an hour to complete. Is this the test you have been running multiple times? Depending on the time you have run this test, this may be expected behavior. Have you tried checking the settings on your games and video card as recommended? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

The test I have ran includes the Intel Diagnostic Test as well as the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. The Intel Diagnostic Test was ran multiple times with no errors found. The test I was stuck on was the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Recently I borrowed a new RAM stick from someone I know, and running it as usual still gave me crashes.

My graphics card is running on recommended settings from the NVidia GeForce Experience application and has not been overclocked.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Thank you for your response. Could you please provide us with the memory part number you borrowed? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Hi, it is a HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB 16GB (8GBx2 sticks) 3200MHz CL16 DIMM XMP RAM 

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Is this memory configured to run at 2666 MHz? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Sorry I usually take long to reply, the time is used to stress test the computer.

The last change I did was putting Extreme Memory Profile into Profile 1 in the BIOS and setting memory clock to 2667MHz (previously 2400) and it didn't seem to solve the crash.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Using Extreme Memory Profiles usually means that the memory is being overclocked, which may cause system instability. Although your system is new, we recommend booting your computer using the minimum components, enabling Intel® Turbo Boost and checking if the issue persists. However, this is just a suggestion. We will do further research about this issue and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Does this mean resetting BIOS and only turning on Turbo Boost? If that is the case, I had done it yesterday, but no changes.

0 Kudos