Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel Turboboost 3.0 boosts i7-7820x no further than 4.0 Ghz instead of 4.5 Ghz

MMüll2
Beginner

Hello everybody,

I have a problem that a lot of people seem to run into, but most of the solutoins are pretty individual, so I'm gonna bring this issue up once more.

Here are some system specs:

CPU Intel Core i7-7820X | 8x 3.60GHz, 11MB L3-Cache

Mainboard MSI X299 Tomahawk | Intel X299

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 | 4x 8GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Palit

I built this computer as a audio workstation. I work with Ableton Live, and I use Software Plugins that are very customizable. This means I really like to push the CPU to its limits, and then, higher clockspeed is always

desirable...

So, this CPU is advertised as a processor that can reach 4.5 ghz clock speed using single core usage when Intel Turboboost 3.0 is active. Ableton Live pretty much uses single core only, in most cases.

But somehow, my processor never goes beyond 4.0 ghz clock speed with Turboboost? Two cores are supposed to run at 4.5 ghz with intel turbo boost, so there must be something I am missing.

I've read that this issue is solvable with certain BIOS settings. Here is a picture of the BIOS OC window:

Clicking on CPU Ratio Apply Mode gives option to choose between: All Core, Per Core and Turbo Ratio.

Clicking on Enhanced Turbo gives option to Auto, Disabled and Enabled.

So of course, I could just try to change some settings here, but I am a complete newbie and I don't wanna damage my system.

I RMA'd both Motherboard and CPU last week because I got the dreaded debug code 00.

So if any of you know how I can boost the two fastest cores to 4.5 ghz as Intel advertised possible for this CPU, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks for your time,

- MarcGrafikkarte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Palit

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello fracturedsystems,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

Processors can adjust their frequency based on a number of factors such as temperature, number of active cores, type of workload, among others. As you were mentioning, technologies such as Intel® Turbo Boost Technology automatically improves energy efficiency and maximizes frequency as well, but you cannot control this behavior.

Have you tried resetting BIOS settings to default values?

What software are you using to track processor load, temperature, and processor speed?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello fracturedsystems,

Are you still having issues with the frequency of your processor?

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos