Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel XTU Current/EDP limit gets randomly disabled/enforced

SNena1
Novice

Hi, I have latest Intel XTU 6.5.2.40 and intel Corei9 9920x processor. What I observe with XTU's avx512 benchmark is that it runs stable and cpu frequency floats around 4-4.1ghz on all cores, xtu shows cpu being limit by current/edp. Other times I run same benchmark, there's no current/edp throttling, cpu peaks at 4.2 ghz on all cores and system reboots after several seconds. After a few reboots it may start to enforce power limit again and system is stable again. I do not understand this logic, is there a hidden flag somewhere to enforce current/edp limit ? I do not apply any modifications, just trying to understand how it behaves (and how do I make sure my system is stable).

Another question, a little bit of topic here - I can't find in my bios a setting which corresponds to core voltage in XTU. I have asus tuf mark II motherboard with latest bios and windows10 64. Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SNena1,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your system configuration.

Please generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report directly to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU takes you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on "Summary" to change to a "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

Here you go, thanks.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SNena1,

Thank you for your response.

There can be multiple reasons why the current limit is throttling on the processor. The two most common reasons for current limit throttling:

1. VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. (Different motherboard manufacturers may have different names for this control. Please check with your motherboard vendor.)
  2. The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given CPU. Pairing a low power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.

Also, there can be multiple reasons why the power limit is throttling on the processor. For example,

• Core Voltage limit is set too low.
  • System doesn’t have sufficient cooling and power delivery.

Our recommendation is that you make sure your system is running under design specifications. To achieve this, you may need to contact your motherboard manufacturer to check the BIOS configuration currently running on your system and make sure it is not impacting the performance of your system.

Also, we suggest that you check your cooling solution.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. My problem is however is not that it gets hit by power limit. Problem is that sometimes there's randomly no power limit at all. In this case my cpu doesn't hold long and reboots after few seconds. When powerlimit is enforced, I get stable system at 3.6ghz .

In addition, if I up CoreVoltage in XTU from 'default' value by a notch (which is 0.5v - isn't it too much ?) , then My system reaches way too high temps without temperature throttling. It can go well over the 92C, which is what is listed as max temp for my cpu on intel ark, and then I stop the test myself because of fear of damaging cpu. Shouldn't temperature throttling start at 92C automatically ?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SNena1,

Thank you for your response.

We were just trying to provide an overview of these parameters and the behavior your system experiences. Our recommendation is that you make sure the computer is running under design specifications.

Now, parameters and system configurations might vary depending on how a motherboard was designed by the manufacturer. In this scenario, what we can suggest is that you contact your motherboard manufacturer to obtain more details about their default configuration to prevent your current configuration from damaging your processor or other components.

Also, the throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings. If the processor is unable to maintain a safe operating temperature through throttling actions, it will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage.

• Have you tried checking the health of the power supply? Is the cooling solution working properly?
  • Is your computer experiencing freezing or blue screens?
  • To check the health of the processor, run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

Hi,

I've never had any issues before I tried using XTU, so I thought there might be some hidden flag which disables power throttle and I may have triggered it somehow. Anyway, thanks for your support!

Regards,

Sergey.

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

Hi,

To clarify, I've had no issues with processor or bluescreens, and I simply wanted to see if I can get mild overclocking with XTU. When trying benchmarks in XTU I noticed I'm power limited. Then I tried adjusting core voltaget by a notch (and minum adjustment amount in XTU is 0.5v), and then frequency suddenly bumps up to 4.2 (instead of 3.6ghz) and no power limit, and system auto-reboots. then when I tried to remove this minor voltage adjustment power limit didn't start to kickin until a few reboots later. I assume somehow powerlimit was disabled and only randomly enabled itself back after a few reboots and things became normal since then.

Basically, my experience with XTU is not very good beacuse of this strange behavior.

Thanks you for trying to help!

Regards,

Sergey.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SNena1,

Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance.

For more information on overclocking, you can check the Overclocking Software - Intel® Performance Maximizer support article.

If you have any further questions about this tool, please start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos