Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel XTU Disables Processor Core IccMax Option upon Abnormal Shutdown

AKhan29
Beginner

Help, this has been bothering me and has given me a very tough time.

Quick Facts:

My Intel Core i7-7700HQ has wrong default Processor Core IccMax setting(default 1.00A). FYI: Seems to be a factory issue for my Lenovo y520, any BIOS update does not help. So, I use Intel XTU to keep the Processor Core IccMax higher, albeit below the recommended settings just to be on the safe side(40.00A). I have performed long-night Stress Tests and all seems quite well stable.

The Issue:

Whenever I experience abnormal system Shutdown twice or thrice in total, Intel XTU hides the Processor Core IccMax slidebar, completely hidden, like it does not exist. NOTE: The abnormal shutdown occurs due to the GPU and has nothing to do with the CPU settings. The Core IccMax Setting does not come back unless I reinstall the XTU, which is a hectic process all along. I suppose that is a Security Feature by Intel for XTU. But why disable Core IccMax ONLY ? I even set the Voltage Offset to -110 for thermals and that option never goes away. Is there any way out of this ?

Thank you for your time and effort.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

type below commands one by one in cmd, then press enter

Sfc.exe /Scannow

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /Resetbase /Defer

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

restart the windows

Update latest Intel management engine firmware from oem manufacturer

Update latest intel management engine components driver from oem manufacturer

update latest intel chipset driver from oem manufacturer

0 Kudos
AKhan29
Beginner

Did already, no point. It runs smoothly without any flaws. But the Core IccMax option gets disabled after 2-3 abnormal shutdowns, which have no link with the CPU tuning at all. Also, is there anyway to directly update the CPU settings right into the BIOS ?

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

certain motherboard have options to control cpu settings in bios , which are provided by the manufacturer

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello AKhan29, I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you. If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos