Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel XTU VCore issue when loading "Default" profile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @all!

I recently discovered an issue when loading the "Default" profile of the XTU tool. When this profile has been re-applied after having changed one of the core settings, the Package TDP goes way above it's expected value. This seems to be due to a raised core voltage.

Here is what I have done to reproduce this issue:

Run #1) Perform Cinebench R20 (multicore) run with default settings -> TDP = 155 - 160W, VCore = 1.200 - 1.215V
Run #2) Set PL2 = 240W, run Cinebench R20 again -> TDP and VCore remain unchanged
Run #3) Load "Default" profile in XTU software (PL2 = 251W) and  run Cinebench R20 again -> TDP = 230 - 240W, VCore = 1.380 - 1.390V

So loading the default settings results in 80W higher package TDP because of the apllied core voltage setting. When settings PL2 = 251W manually instead of loading the default profile, there is no such strange behavior.

Here are some system specs which may help:

CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K
Mainboard: ASRock Z590 Steel Legend (BIOS version: 1.30)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR4 3600 CL16
INF driver: 10.1.18634.8254_Public
Intel Management Engine driver: 15.0.21.1549_CONS_SW_DCH
Intel XTU v7.3.0.33
Mainboard BIOS set to default settings, except RAM (X.M.P. loaded); CPU running with default settings (default clock settings, VCore = auto, PL1 = 125W, PL2 = 251W, Tau = 56s)

I hope this issue has not been discussed yet in the forum (a search here led to no result).

Best regards,

XY_AB

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anybody confirm this problem?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello XY_AB

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

For testing, run the XTU benchmark instead of Cinebench, share screenshots of the results and the report of the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows
  • Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

What are the exact settings changed in the software, before loading the default profile?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello David,

I only changed "Turbo Boost Short Power Max" (PL2) from 251W (default setting) to 240W. Just a minor adjustment, which in my opinion has no noticeable effect, because this limit is not reached when running Cinebench or XTU Benchmark.

When running XTU Benchmark instead of Cinebench, behavior is the same. Before loading the default profile, power consumption peaked at 137W. After loading default profile, peak power consumption was 189W. Please look at the attached screenshots, there you can see the Package TDP and Core Voltage graphs for both described scenarios.

XTU_BenchmarkRun1.png - run 1 before loading default profile
XTU_BenchmarkRun2.png - run 2 after loading default profile

I also attached the report of Intel SSU.

Best regards,

XY_AB

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello XY_AB

We're testing this on our side, we will keep you posted.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello XY_AB

We tried to replicate this with the information provided, but we didn't get the same issue. Please confirm that you're using the default profile without any changes to it, and if it's the first time you try it let us know if you still see the increase.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The default profile was not changed in any way (don't know how to do that or if it is even possible). Unfortunately, the problem still exists, even after I updated Mainboard's BIOS / UEFI to version 1.40.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're working on this request, the updates will be posted on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

After running some test and checking the information provided, we recommend that you set the entire system to default settings for this scenario. Disable any overclocking settings, Voltage, frequency changed, XMP, and Run the Intel® PDT to check the processor status.  If it passes all tests, the processor is working as it should.

If your system continues to show this instability with the TDP-W, you should consult with the motherboard manufacturer the proper configuration since the XTU relies on the BIOS controls and targets defined by each motherboard manufacturer.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@David_G_Intel wrote:

"... Disable any overclocking settings, Voltage, frequency changed, XMP, and Run the Intel® PDT to check the processor status."

I did not change voltage or frequency settings. Just loaded XMP settings. But the issue also occurs without XMP (all BIOS / UEFI settings = default).

In other words: for you it's not possible to reproduce to issue.
If this may help: rebooting Windows solves the problem. After OS reboot, the default profile seems to apply the correct voltage, so TDP is as expected, too.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thanks for the clarification. Remember to check with the OEM for proper settings as the XTU is based on the BIOS controls and targets defined by each motherboard manufacturer.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos