Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Intel XTU and i7-6820HQ on HP zbook G3 15 - undervoltage

Single
Beginner

Hi, is some way to undervoltage Intel i76820HQ in Intel XTU SW?

I have HP zbook G3 15 with this CPU and temperature on one core of CPU is in Prime 95 (but in game too, sometimes) 100 °C ... So I will be happy if exists some way

Now I can control only Turbo boost issues and voltage is grey.

I check the compatibility list of these SW and it support i7-6820HK but not my CPU i7-6820HQ.

Thank you for your time guys!

PS: I repaste whole notebook, but with sh*** past... however Thermal Grizzl Kryonaut is on my way

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU does not support your processor.  Only X and K processors are supported.

And, you should not be attermpting to undervolt your laptop:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

Doc

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

This is not true

I had a laptop with a core i7 HQ variant and i undervolted my cpu by 0.65 mv and i got around 10 degrees lower temps

The undervolting security issue will not affect the user since it requires physical access to the cpu.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is your machine, so do what you want.  Just remember, XTU does not support your processor, and the undervolt issues are a problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

There is no problem with cpu undervolting , you get better FPS in games and it avoid burning your laptop due to high temps. It prolong laptop life and its also quieter. I used that undervolted cpu for around 4 years every day , 0 Issues

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
fnjwnJCk
Beginner

How did you do it? Could you tell me please 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Intel has disabled undervolting due to security concerns.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
fnjwnJCk
Beginner

But why some persons that have a processor hq can make undervolt with tte XTU, and even with throttlestop 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As Al mentioned (albeit much too tersely), once the microcode update carried in the BIOS gets Intel's latest updates, support for undervolting will stop working. This is Intel's mitigation for the Plundervolt! issue (see here: Plundervolt! A new Intel Processor ‘undervolting’ Vulnerability). It was the only answer Intel was able to come up with. Good or bad, Intel's commitment to security requires that they proceed with mitigation, even if they don't like it.

...S

0 Kudos
Single
Beginner

When I change thermal paste to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, max CPU temp is about 80/85 °C... so I am happy without undervoltage

0 Kudos