Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel XTU: blocked tuning on i7-8705G (Dell XPS 9575)

Vitalii
Beginner

Previously, all settings were unlocked, and it was possible to freely configure everything.
But at some point I found that all settings (except Toorbo Boost) are no longer available.
There are suspicions that this happened after the BIOS update, but in fact I still can not understand what the problem is? Downgrade BIOS has not changed anything.

Processor: i7-8705G;

Notebook: Dell XPS 9575.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU oinly supports X and K processors.  You have a G processor.  XTU does not support your procerssor.  You should uninstall XTU and reset your bios to defaults.

Doc

0 Kudos
Vitalii
Beginner

And how should I understand that?

You say that my processor is not supported, but I must remove XTU and reset bios ... for what?

And also you say that my processor is not supported, but I am sure that it WAS supported (or at least was acceptable), because I used it. Why is it not supported now?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

All you have to do is read the supported processors list:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

In particular, read this from that page: "Intel XTU may or may not work on unsupported processors.".  Set your expectations accordingly.

Again, again, and again, XTU supports X and K processors as indicated in the list.

Why should you uninstall it?  Because you cannot rely on any settings being correct.  Uninstall it, and reset your bios to defaults.

This is really a no-brainer.  To enjoy the benefits of XTU, spend the money and get a supported processor.

Doc

0 Kudos
Alazert
Beginner

Same thing happened to me today (06-27-2020) after a Windows update.

On my Dell XPS 15 9560 with an I7 7700HQ proccessor.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Again, XTU only supports X and K processors.  XTU does not support your processor.

Uninstall XTU and reset your bios to default settings.

Doc

0 Kudos