Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Intel XTU does not load my custom setting for "Turbo Boost Short Power Max" after rebooting

JFell3
Beginner

I have an i9 8950hk on an Alienware 15 r4. In order to keep the temperatures a little bit lower I changed the "Turbo Boost Short Power Max" from 96w to 60w. I saved this in a profile and clicked "Apply" but when my system reboots normally (no BSOD) my system loads the default value of 96w. I also undervolted my CPU a bit but this setting loads up fine every time. How can I get this setting to load up by default every time my computer boots up?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
JFell3
Beginner

I ran the service and saved it in a .txt file but I don't see where I can attach it here.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

When you do a reply, look for the paperclip under the toolbar.

Doc

0 Kudos
JFell3
Beginner

Thank you. I didn't see it beforehand. Here it is.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

JFell3, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility displays various controls and provides access to features based on the system's motherboard and processor configurations. Not all processors provide real-time support for all controls. Motherboard manufacturers can restrict access to various controls that prevent the user from overclocking or optimizing those settings. In other words, the performance of this tool when running on mobile platforms may be limited by BIOS and power management features laptops usually implement.

In this case, it seems to be a BIOS problem, the reason could be that the computer BIOS is defaulting the BIOS settings and changing Intel® XTU values.

Please check with the manufacturer of your computer for BIOS updates, the BIOS could have an auto overclock feature as well:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/dell-subsidiaries/alienware-support-site/support-hive

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos