Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Intel XTU not opening

Draftvader
Beginner

Hello, i gad the inte XTU installed because i undervolted my intel i7 8700k because while gaming the temperaturs where going as high as 95 degrees celsius which is very harmful for the components.One day the intel XTU would not oped because it said that i had the old version.I downloaded the new update but still the same appeared.So i unistalled the program and installed again only to find out that i could not opem it because of "Unable to start Intel extreme tuning utility.If there is another performance application running,you must close it before trying to start this application" which does not make sense since i am not using any other performace programs except from HP omen command center but with it also unistalled it will say the same problem.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Undervolting is bad.

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

There is no way to mitigate the Plundervolt vulnerability, except to disable undervolt completely. This was done in a microcode update. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Draftvader,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I understand that we are not able to launch the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, to better assist you please provide the following information:

• Please provide your operating system version?
  • What is the model of your computer?
  • What is the current XTU version?

Please try the following steps and check results with me:

1.   Uninstall Intel® XTU using Apps and Features:

1.1. Delete any folder named Intel® XTU from these locations:

1.2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel", "C:\ProgramData\Intel".

1.3 Delete the folder named "Intel® Intel Telemetry" under “C:\ProgramData:”.

2. After uninstalling the current Intel® XTU, download and install the latest Intel® XTU version available here.

3. If the error message reappears, please try restoring the BIOS back to defaults and repeat the above steps.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Draftvader,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Draftvader,

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos