Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel XTU not starting anymore after windows update

LTher2
Novice

I'm on Windows 10. I had disabled the auto-launching of the program so it doesn't show up in the tray (I think using CCleaner?), but the background service was still running so it reverted back to default setting in case of a system crash.

Anyway, trying to launch the program now it shows the splash screen, then a few seconds later the tray icon shows up. Then the splash vanishes, and after hovering my mouse of the tray icon that too disappears. I haven't reinstalled the program yet, because the uninstaller told me to restore my system to default settings before doing so, which I can't do because the program won't run. Also I don't want to lose the profiles I had created, as I can't remember the values for those and it had taken quite a bit of tweaking to find the perfect balance for my laptop.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LTher2
Novice

After a lot of re-installs and searching around, it turns out that it was a compatibility issue between XTU and MSI Afterburner. I am not sure why, but XTU starts fine if I make sure to shut down Afterburner first (which is set to start on boot with Windows). As I mentioned before, this combination has been working fine for over a year for me, but apparently since the Windows update they don't play nice together anymore. I'll see if I can find some settings or other ways to make them run at the same time, but if not at least this allows me to access XTU again by making sure Afterburner isn't running while it does. I can just apply my undervolting (which is what I was using it for) and close it again, and everything seems to work fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

what is your processor model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
LTher2
Novice
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Only X and K processors are supported on XTU.

Doc

0 Kudos
LTher2
Novice

But it's been working fine for over a year now with no issues whatsoever. Until the Windows update I've been able to use the program without any issues. I very much doubt my processor is to blame since it worked before just fine.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am just saying that your processor is not supported on XTU. And who knows what CCleaner did. And, by windows update, are you referring to upgrading to 1903?

Doc

0 Kudos
LTher2
Novice

I can't remember if it was CCleaner or through the task manager, but I disabled one of the processes from XTU to boot when Windows started as I didn't need the program to monitor my temperatures and performance, as I have other programs for that. I only needed it to undervolt my laptop. That's all I did with it though, and checking now it seems that all the XTU related processes that I can find are enabled after all. Maybe I just disabled an option in the program that prevented it from starting with Windows? It's been a while and I can't remember exactly, but at least it doesn't start when I boot my laptop anymore, and hasn't for a long time. But this is not the issue, and would probably give the same result as booting it manually did, as described in my first post.

Either way, these settings have not been changed in the meantime and it worked fine beforehand, the only change to my system was a Windows update. And yes, that was to version 1903 (Build 18362.295 to be exact).

0 Kudos
LTher2
Novice

After a lot of re-installs and searching around, it turns out that it was a compatibility issue between XTU and MSI Afterburner. I am not sure why, but XTU starts fine if I make sure to shut down Afterburner first (which is set to start on boot with Windows). As I mentioned before, this combination has been working fine for over a year for me, but apparently since the Windows update they don't play nice together anymore. I'll see if I can find some settings or other ways to make them run at the same time, but if not at least this allows me to access XTU again by making sure Afterburner isn't running while it does. I can just apply my undervolting (which is what I was using it for) and close it again, and everything seems to work fine.

0 Kudos