Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Intel XTU service fails to start; exception in XtuTuning.Initialize()

nToss
Beginner

* I have no other tuning/OCing software installed.

* XTU run correctly on this PC.

* The XTU Service exists, but fails to start.

* The first warning in the XTUCore log states the ACPI driver could not be connected.

* ...and judging by the XtuCore log, a lot of my i7-7700K CPU's settings are unable to be queried. Probably due to the previous issue.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

nToss, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, even though you mentioned you already try some troubleshooting steps to try to fix the issue, we recommend to:

-Update the BIOS to the latest version

-Disable memory RAM XMP in the BIOS

-Uninstall Intel® XTU using Apps and Features, please make sure to delete the "Telemetry " folder:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html

-Try loading BIOS defaults.

-Install the latest Intel® XTU version 7.0.1.4:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

If the problem persists after that, please provide the latest Intel® XTU log files that reflect those changes: using File Explorer: go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\XTU, and zip the Log files or entire folder.

Note: Uncheck "Hide System Files" to see the AppData folder.

Additionally, please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
nToss
Beginner

> Update the BIOS to the latest version

Done. The last BIOS update for the ASUS Maximus IX Hero was released in 2018.

> Disable memory RAM XMP in the BIOS

I'll try that after submitting this post.

> Uninstall Intel® XTU using Apps and Features, please make sure to delete the "Telemetry " folder

I tried a clean reinstall and the issue persisted. The Telemetry folder doesn't exist as was noted in the logs I uploaded.

> Try loading BIOS defaults.

Ironically, the BIOS defaults make my desktop more unstable and prone to crash.

> Install the latest Intel® XTU version 7.0.1.4

I have 7.0.1.4 already installed. It's the only version I've tested so far.

> Note: Uncheck "Hide System Files" to see the AppData folder.

AppData is supposed to be ProgramData, yes?

0 Kudos
nToss
Beginner
Interesting.
XTU functions properly after using the BIOS default settings.
On the other hand, my PC's overall performance is drastically worse and my fans' speeds now increase sharply with the slightest temperature spike.
0 Kudos
nToss
Beginner
I can confidently say I prefer a manually tuned PC over having access to XTU.

Being able to use is not worth the trade-off.
0 Kudos
nToss
Beginner
0 Kudos
nToss
Beginner
Oh, cool.
A WatchDog violation caused a green screen of death.
I guess I'll never use XTU ever again.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

nToss, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We are sorry to hear that after all the troubleshooting steps done, there are still issues when using the Intel® XTU. 

Just to let you know, we always recommend to use the computer under default values at stock configuration to avoid instability on the system. For us to be able to further assist you with this subject, please provide the Intel® XTU logs after the changes done using File Explorer: go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\XTU, and zip the Log files or entire folder.

Note: Uncheck "Hide System Files" to see the AppData folder.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello nToss, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello nToss, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos