Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel XTU ver. 6.5.2.40 incorrectly reports Package TDP as always being 1w under any load on my Core i9-9920x

SNena1
Novice

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your motherboard bios and try again.

Doc

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

I have latest bios available on my motherboard. thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SNena1

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to know if you need further assistance. Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

If there's nothing which can be done , besides having latest bios (which I already have), then yes, no further assistance needed

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SNena1

Thank you for your response.

In order to check this better, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) Version: 6.5.2.40 the first version you installed of this software? Did you uninstall any previous version before installing version 6.5.2.40?

2- Did Intel® XTU report "correctly" this value before?

3- Please provide screenshots showing the behavior:

4- Did you perform any change on the BIOS, on Intel® XTU, or any overclocking setting? Have you tried loading BIOS defaults? Please provide details.

5- Do you have installed and running additional overclocking/tunning software?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice
  1. yes
  2. never saw it working correctly

4. I've only set xmp memory profile, nothing else

5.no

Regards,

Sergey.

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

Picture for 3:

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

xtuprob.png

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

and how do I attach a private file visible for you only ?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SNena1

Thank you for your response.

Regarding your inquiries, you can attach the Intel® SSU report to this thread in the response post. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. However, if you prefer to send it privately, I will send you a private message to your profile here in the community so you can reply back and attach the file.

Additionally, could you please provide details about the Intel® XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles) profile you set? What values did you change or set? (e.g. frequency and voltage). For testing purposes, have you tried reverting Intel® XMP profile to defaults, or have your tired loading BIOS defaults?

Also, when you notice this behavior, what are the Max Core™ Frequency and Processor Cache Frequency? Do you see Power Limit Throttling or Thermal Throttling?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SNena1

We would like to update this thread and mention that the TDP reading shown in Intel® XTU is coming from the motherboard BIOS.

In this case, you could try loading BIOS defaults to test the behavior. Also, are you having any issues with the processor? You can test the processor with Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool just to rule out a faulty processor unit. Please provide the .txt file report of the test.

Otherwise, it could be an issue with Intel® XTU and the current motherboard's BIOS version supplying wrong data.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SNena1
Novice

Hi,

XMP memory profile sets frequency of memory to 3800mhz and timings to some values. I also upped memory's voltage by a notch to 1.355 since by default it gets lower than 1.35 (below what it should be according to memory specs).

I don't have issues with processor and diagnostic tools says everything is fine. This behavior is consistent whether I'm limited by power or not (I become limited by power when running avx512 stresstest in XTU). Max core frequency at full load gets to 3.6ghz, at this stage it shows 6W in package TDP. Not sure about processor frequency, I have not paid attention to this. I understand it's basically a motherboard issue, and I don't have much time available to test various bios settings, however, if you are willing to do communication with my motherboard provider (asus) in an attempt to fix this to make XTU even better, then I'll be willing to help. Otherwise, having TDP not working correctly is not such a big deal and this thread can be closed. I have started in an attempt to get a quick fix and let you guys know that there are issues with XTU.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Sergey.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SNena1

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

Please allow us to check this further regarding the information you have shared with us. We will be updating this thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SNena1

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

In this case, since you mentioned that you don't have time available to deal with this issue as a final recommendation we kindly suggest you to at least notify the motherboard manufacturer so they can check this issue from their side and provide a possible fix.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Bence
Beginner

Hey,

I have the exact same issue with Intel XTU 7.0.1.4 with the following config on the attached image.

Is there any solution for this?

0 Kudos