Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel XTU won't let me change the Clock speeds anymore.

Buen
Beginner

Hello,

I have a i9-8950HK processor which has been undervolted and held at stock speed with intel XTU up until now. Sadly, due to a BIOS update, intel XTU has reset everything and wont let me change them back. now i am running at 4.2GHZ on all Cores with around 90 degrees idle. I really need to be able to undervolt it again or else i wont be able to properly use my laptop. Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in Advance,

Sincerely.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Ok, have been provided more information on this.  To mitigate undervolt issues, Intel has disabled undervolt completely.  I know this is not the news you wanted to hear.

You can read up on undervolt issues here:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

There are several ways eliminating undervolt can be performed, BIOS updates being the primary.

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

"due to a BIOS update"        Whose bios update?

0 Kudos
Buen
Beginner

BIOS update? it just updated the version and then XTU wouldnt let me change the values. I also tried reverting it to the older version but it didnt help

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, which motherboard/system do you have?

You said "due to a bios update".   What bios update?  What was the bios before the update, and what is it now?

Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

0 Kudos
Buen
Beginner

I use the Dell G5 15 5587 and before the Update it was at BIOS version 1.12.2, the new one is 1.14

Here u have the required data from the SSU scan.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The Dell update utility is responsible for updating your Dell Bios.  I would contact Dell about rolling back to your previous bios version.  Then, do not let their update tool update the bios once you have the old version restored.

0 Kudos
Buen
Beginner

I did do that myself. I went back to the 1.12.2 version but it still wouldn't work. Then i reinstalled my windows again to see if that would work, nothing. And as for Dell Support, i cant get any support for My region... And when i use a VPN to get into the US support, they just see where the Product was Purchased and tell me to go to MY region's support, which isn't even available...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The windows 10 reinstall - was that a clean install, or a in-place install?

0 Kudos
Buen
Beginner

it was an in-place install. But i can try to wipe windows and install it with a USB drive if you recommend that.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That would certainly remove any question of XTU rements being left behind. 

0 Kudos
Buen
Beginner

i shall give it a try. Thank you very much for your time!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, have been provided more information on this.  To mitigate undervolt issues, Intel has disabled undervolt completely.  I know this is not the news you wanted to hear.

You can read up on undervolt issues here:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

There are several ways eliminating undervolt can be performed, BIOS updates being the primary.

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

Buen
Beginner

WOW, didn't see that coming. But i am very thankful for the information you have given me. Thank you very much dear sir and i wish you all the best in the world!

0 Kudos