Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Intel Xeon CPU is running low but clock frequency is up 100%+

Lark
Novice
I've got a strange problem with my new Windows 10 computer. I recently bought a laptop workstation with Intel Xeon Chip E series.

When I did the first boot the fan started spinning loud and then stopped. And it repeted until I finished install all windows updates. When it starts spinning it does not last for a long time, most of the time is less than a minute.

Now that all the windows 10 updates are done the fans does not spin that loud or doesn't spin at all. But I noticed that when I stream a movie from the computer to the TV over the network the funs start to spin again very loud for less than a minute and then stops. I noticed that when the spinning start the CPU usage is less than 10% but the clock frequency is above 120%. Why is that happening?

Now I have installed ARCGIS, for my work,a single core application, and it is doing the same thing when I just move around a simple satellite image in the application (I didn't even started with the image processing). I really don't understand why is this happening. I bought this machine specially because of my work and I'm not even doing now heavy staff and it is already spinning like crazy.

The laptop that I have is HP Zbook G6 17 and I think it has a very good airflow system. When I was checking the system while working I noticed that the Graphics Card was not being used in any moment both during the streaming and displaying the image. Is this normal? Is everything Okay with the computer?

Can anyone help understand why is it happening and what can I do to solve it?

This is my machine configuration:

Intel Xeon E2286M @2.40GHZ 8 Cores 32 GB RAM Nvidea Quadro RTX 4000
0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioS_Intel

Hello Lark;

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support. 

Regarding to your question, we would like to encourage you to post the technical information you are looking for in the following community site: 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Developers/ct-p/embedded-developers

They can help you with additional questions about Intel Xeon D Embedded Processors.

Also, if you already know the FAE (Field Application Engineer) that corresponds to you, you can contact them to gather more details.  

Have a great day. 

Best regards, 

Sergio S. 

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello Lark;

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support. 

Regarding to your question, we would like to encourage you to post the technical information you are looking for in the following community site: 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Developers/ct-p/embedded-developers

They can help you with additional questions about Intel Xeon D Embedded Processors.

Also, if you already know the FAE (Field Application Engineer) that corresponds to you, you can contact them to gather more details.  

Have a great day. 

Best regards, 

Sergio S. 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Lark
Novice
Thank you for you replay. I'll proceed has you suggested.
0 Kudos