Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel Xeon CPU is running low but clock frequency is up 100%+

Lark
Novice
I've got a strange problem with my new Windows 10 computer. I recently bought a laptop workstation with Intel Xeon Chip E series.

When I did the first boot the fan started spinning loud and then stopped. And it repeted until I finished install all windows updates. When it starts spinning it does not last for a long time, most of the time is less than a minute.

Now that all the windows 10 updates are done the fans does not spin that loud or doesn't spin at all. But I noticed that when I stream a movie from the computer to the TV over the network the funs start to spin again very loud for less than a minute and then stops. I noticed that when the spinning start the CPU usage is less than 10% but the clock frequency is above 120%. Why is that happening?

Now I have installed ARCGIS, for my work,a single core application, and it is doing the same thing when I just move around a simple satellite image in the application (I didn't even started with the image processing). I really don't understand why is this happening. I bought this machine specially because of my work and I'm not even doing now heavy staff and it is already spinning like crazy.

The laptop that I have is HP Zbook G6 17 and I think it has a very good airflow system. When I was checking the system while working I noticed that the Graphics Card was not being used in any moment both during the streaming and displaying the image. Is this normal? Is everything Okay with the computer?

Can anyone help understand why is it happening and what can I do to solve it?

This is my machine configuration:

Intel Xeon E2286M @2.40GHZ 8 Cores 32 GB RAM Nvidea Quadro RTX 4000
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Lark

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- How are you monitoring the processor frequency and workload? Please provide details. Also, please replicate the behavior and provide screenshots from the Windows® Task Manager showing the Performance Tab.

2- Just to make sure, is the issue occurring only when streaming a video over the network or when using the software ARCGIS*? Also, how are you streaming over the network? Perhaps using Wireless (Windows Miracast)?

3- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report. You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the below link:

The purpose of the tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

4-Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Notes:

1- The design and integration of the cooling solution is something specific to the laptop manufacturer (OEM). Usually, there are BIOS sensors and controls that regulate its behavior based on processor/system temperature. We recommend checking the fan spinning behavior with your OEM since they are the proper channel of support for this question. They are the ones that handle all the technical documentation related to the laptop cooling solution.

2- The CPU utilization increases especially when using heavy applications like games and video streaming or rendering. However, high CPU utilization does not necessarily mean that it is an issue unless it causes performance issues, stuttering in games, input lag, freezing, etc.

Also, it is worth mentioning that when it comes to games, video playback, encode-decode, 3D applications, etc.; it is usually expected that those type of applications run on the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), either an integrated GPU or discrete GPU (of course, it would be also workload on the CPU).

Where there is High CPU utilization (and when GPU utilization is very low or 0%) could be a symptom pointing out an issue with the app not able to properly identify and use the resources of the GPU and instead it is running only on the CPU. For this reason, we also recommend checking with the developer team of apps to confirm that your system meets the recommended hardware/software/settings requirements.

3- For additional issues with the integrated graphics of the processor, please kindly create a new thread since this will allow us to focus on one issue at a time.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lark
Novice

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your replay

• I have tried to replicate the process so I can provide you with a screenshot of what is happening. And to monitoring it I am using both Task Manager and the Windows Resource Monitor
  • When streaming, I am doing it over the network through a wire connection

In the attachment, I have included other information as requested.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lark

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lark

Thank you very much for the information provided.

However, it seems that we are missing the screenshots from the Windows® Task Manager displaying the Performance Tab showing the CPU frequency (not the percentage but the actual CPU frequency). Could you please double-check and provide us with the screenshots?

Also, while reproducing the behavior, please run an additional test using the Intel® Processor Identification Utility. Click on File > Save to save the report. Please attach the report with the results.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28539/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lark

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lark

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now.

If the issue persists, our last recommendation is to check this further with your computer manufacturer. They may assist you with additional debugging and assistance, for instance, to try BIOS defaults, check BIOS settings and Fan control settings, power settings, additional tests, etc.

Here is the contact link: HP Customer Support*

If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you. Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos