Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel® Xeon® E-2288G and3 x 4k display

DProd3
Beginner

LS,

Regarding the Intel® Xeon® E-2288G Processor. The specs seem to state that 3 displays at 4k resulution should be possible.

4K Support Yes, at 60Hz

Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4)‡ 4096x2160@24Hz

Max Resolution (DP)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 4096x2304@60Hz

# of Displays Supported ‡ 3

However I am having difficulty finding a suitable motherboard, in conjunction with this processor, that allows for 3 x 4k display

Can someone please advice what to look for in the specs of a motherboard as to be able to assess whether or not 3 x 4k is supported?

I am getting no closer than the Supermicro X11SSQ

with as key features:

1 HDMI port, 1 DP (DisplayPort) port, 1 DVI - D port,

3 Independent Displays

But I am not sure whether this will work.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since the native HDMI output of Intel's current and past processors is only HDMI 1.4b compliant, it is next to useless​. Motherboards can provide LSPcon ICs to convert the DP 1.2 outputs into HDMI 2.0 outputs, but this is raising costs. What I would prefer is a board that simply provides three DP outputs. With that you have the most versatility.

J​ust my opinion,

...S

0 Kudos
DProd3
Beginner

Thanks for your answer. For me having 1 4k display out of 3 with only 24 Hz frame rate is acceptable though not ideal.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would also point out that,

1. You will never support a 4K display using a single DVI port and the HDMI port on that SuperMicro motherboard, unless augmented with LSPCon IC, is only HDMI 1.4b compliant and cannot support 60Hz either. Bottom line, with only one or perhaps two ports for 4K displays, that SuperMicro board still isn't the panacea that you are looking for.
  2. A second option would be to use an add-in graphics card to get additional graphics channels - with the right types of output connectors - that you need (a huge expense, I know).
  3. If a motherboard is equipped with USB-C channels, each channel provided could be exposing one of the three possible DisplayPort 1.2 channels. Check for this possibility in the motherboard specs you look at.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi DProd3,

Thank you for contacting Intel Server Community.

I was reviewing your concern about the Intel® Xeon® E-2288G.

Are you looking for the possibility to use this Intel Xeon Processor E-2288G into an Intel ServerBoard or an OEM Motherboard?

I was doing some research and I found the motherboard comparable with the processor and it is the following: ASUS WS C246 PRO. This Motherboard has 1HDMI, 1DisplayPort, 1DVI-D, 1VGA, 1TypeC Port.

Nevertheless, my best recommendation for you will be to contact the specific Motherboard Manufacture and verify those details in order to have the most accurate information about it.

Please if you have any other questions, do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeh O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
DProd3
Beginner

Thanks for your Answer,

In answer to your question

"Are you looking for the possibility to use this Intel Xeon Processor E-2288G into an Intel ServerBoard or an OEM Motherboard?"

I am assuming that Serverboard means Motherboard? In that case I have no requirements regarding motherboard vendor so if intel makes motherboards that are compatible with the processor and supports 3 x 4k display (preferably at 60hz) then that is great. Although cost is a factor in this.

I have looked at your asus suggestion and will contact them to ask if the motherboard supports 3 x 4k display in conjunction with the processor.

I am worried though that they will send me back to intel and that I get stuck in an endless loop. But I will report back their response.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi DProd3,

Please let me double-check those details in order to provide you the most accurate information about it.

As soon as possible I will get back to you. Meanwhile, try to contact the OEM and verify the information with them as well.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

HI DProd3,

I would like to let you know that currently there is no Intel Server Board that support Xeon E (Coffee Lake).

Now, regarding this particular model E-2288G. It is a tray only SKU, so most likely only validated for specific OEM products, which we do not have information about.

My best recommendation will be to contact a 3rd party solution in this case and check with them the information.

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos