Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX 2.6GHz Eight Core (CM8062101082713S) Processor

DNybe
Beginner

I am applying two of the processors in the subject line on a server MOBO for high end scientific use.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Intel® Turbo Boost Technology.

If the chip supports it, do we need to do anything special to make sure it is enabled?

I've asked that question on this forum and the answer was no.

If the answer to the above question is no, then what is the purpose of ITBM.exe and its associated support files such as...

intelnit.cat

IntelNit.inf

IntelNit.sys

ITBM.chm

ITBMSvc.exe

LangUK.dll

msvcp120.dll

msvcr120.dll

BM on the internet runs into the same issue, "Driver not available"

So whats going on here?

How can someone know if their CPU is turbo capable? ( a link to a list, a CPU search tool would be best)

How can you monitor whether or not the Turbo mode is on and working?

Without a way to monitor if Turbo is working good, there'd be no way to figure out if one needs to lower temps or workload or the other mysterious items that get your turbo algorithm to kick off or not.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dnyberg2,

I would like to share with you that the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology version that comes included within your processor is 2.0, this means that the feature will be reached whenever the processor needs it. Please let me provide a more detailed an theoretical description; basically the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they're operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment. Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

When you refer to "ITBM.exe" I am guessing you are referring to the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver, if this is the case this feature has basically the same theoretical functionality than the 2.0 version, but the 3.0 requires BIOS support as well as a driver and software application to be installed and enabled, this in order to allow users to prioritize programs by directing workloads to the fastest core first.

You can corroborate this feature here; http://ark.intel.com/products/64595/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2670-20M-Cache-2_60-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2670 (20M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI) Product Specifications. You can use Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) or Power Thermal Utility (PTU) to monitor Turbo Boost or third-party monitor tools.

More information can be found here:

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000021587.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000021587.html

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DNybe
Beginner

Okay,

Lets try going at this from another perspective.

As an RF engineer for 30 years, my computing needs requires the turbo mode to be active.

I just got this beast built.

A PAIR Intel Xeon E5-2670 SR0KX 2.6GHz Eight Core (CM8062101082713S) Processors,

128GB of DDR3 1600 RAM,

super cooling,

a 1000 Watts of power,

on an ASRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 Dual LGA2011/ motherboard with the Intel C602 chipset.

Can you give me a simple plan to try and ensure turbo mode stays active during number crunching??

How many watts does each package have to be at or below?

How many threads and or cores can be active?

Do I have too much RAM?

Is there something in the BIOS that I set that causes turbo mode to go hide?

Is turbo mode hard coded into the processors silicon or is this under the control of some snipit of code somewhere I dont know anything about.

Running Windows 7 64 bit with SP1.

Dave

0 Kudos
DNybe
Beginner

Along the lines of my last post,

Are there any applications available that can test to ensure turbo mode can be achieved with my configuration?

Does virtualization have anything to do with it because I have that turned off in BIOS.

IF indeed this turbo mode is embedded in the silicon, there must be a hard and fast recipe for making it happen.

IF I knew what that recipe was, I could conform my computing (Power, heat and anything else I can control) so that my computing falls withing that magic trigger window that causes turbo mode to come to life.

Thanks again,

Dave
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

From my end how the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 works is just explained before. You have the option to get in contact with AsRock in order to get more information regarding if they have the option to enable it from the BIOS, but otherwise the computer will enter Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency based on the explanation on post # 1. The max memory size for your processor is 384 GB, so 128 GB seem fine.

You can monitor the feature with the Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) or Power Thermal Utility (PTU), and there might be a chance that AsRock can provide a tool to monitor it too.

Virtualization and Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 are not related.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos