Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8358 Processor

NumSim
Beginner

Hello,

It is possible to work with the xeon platinium 8358 processor in a single socket configuration? If it's possible, what are disadvantages, if they are?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Paul_R_Intel

Hello NumSim, 

Thank you for joining the community 

I understand that you'd like to know if you can use the Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8358 Processor on a single CPU configuration and the benefits of Dual vs Single CPU configurations. 

The CPU can be used on a Single or Dual setup, the limitation is on the motherboard and their requirements, some may only boot with dual configuration. The only reason to do multi-CPU is if you absolutely require performance and scalability that goes beyond the levels of the fastest single CPU configuration.

You can see more information on the following article that includes a typical Intel® Xeon® Scalable Platform Dual-Socket Configuration set up and the benefits (RAM and PCI Express lanes). 

Please let me know if you have any other inquiry. 

I will be waiting for your response, in case we do not hear from you, we are going to follow-up on this case on 11/02nd if you have any response prior to this email feel free to contact us back.    

Paul R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit: 

https://intel.com/support/serverbios 

0 Kudos
NumSim
Beginner

Thank you very much for your answer. Now It's clear to me that this processor can be used in a single configuration. I'm going to use a single socket motherboard for the processor in order to build a  system for numerical simulations.

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello NumSim, 

I hope you are doing great, I am glad to hear that the information provided has been helpful.

We will close this thread. You can still reopen the thread by replying back.

Thank you for choosing Intel.  

Regards 

Paul R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit: 

https://intel.com/support/serverbios 

0 Kudos