Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Intel Xeon Platinum and Gold Processors. The presence of the Intel Fast Memory Access technology in these processors.

VKuro
Beginner

Hello!

I would like to know if the Fast Memory Access technology is used in these processors? There is no official information about this, but these are very powerful processors, so I'm interested.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Vladislav0504,

Intel® Fast Memory Access Technology was developed for the Graphics Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) backbone architecture that improves system performance by optimizing the use of available memory bandwidth and reducing the latency of the memory accesses.

Current Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors do not include graphics controllers.

Intel has changed the Cache Hierarchy.

In the previous generation, the mid-level cache was 256 KB per core and the last level cache was a shared inclusive cache with 2.5 MB per core. In the Intel Xeon processor Scalable family, the cache hierarchy has changed to provide a larger MLC of 1 MB per core and a smaller shared non-inclusive 1.375 MB LLC per core. A larger MLC increases the hit rate into the MLC resulting in lower effective memory latency and also lowers demand on the mesh interconnect and LLC. The shift to a non-inclusive cache for the LLC allows for more effective utilization of the overall cache on the chip versus an inclusive cache.

More technical details at Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family Technical Overview.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-xeon-processor-scalable-family-technical-overview

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
VKuro
Beginner

So is this technology needed if there is a built-in graphics core?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vladislav0504,

Intel® Fast Memory Access Technology was released on Intel® P45 motherboard chipset with embedded graphics.

The latest business processors with embedded graphics are the Intel® Xeon® E3-XXXX v6.

I am sending you a product brief of them. It will provide the main features and technologies embedded.

They come with Intel® Flex Memory Access. It facilitates easier upgrades by allowing different memory sizes to be populated and remain in dual-channel mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-e3-1200-v6-family-brief.html?_ga=2.24450938.1156623547.1529187455-2089409131.1527189234

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Vladislav0504,

I am following up on your post. Please let me know if I can help with any other doubt.

Regards,

Miguel C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello /thread/126468 Vladislav0504,

Good day,

I like to know if further assistance is needed,

If so, please do not hesitate in replying back to this interaction.

Edward_C Intel

0 Kudos