Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Intel Xeon W-1290p

Rish
Beginner

Hi

I recently purchased a Xeon W-1290p(because it supports ECC over the 10900k) and Asus PRO W480-ACE motherboard.

Tried overclocking it to 5.3GHz all cores(Hyper-Threading Disabled) but wasn't able to go beyond 4.9GHz while stress testing but it did show 5300MHz in the bios. 

So then i checked the spec sheet for w480 found out that this chipset doesn't support overclocking. also tried overclocking 10900k same thing can't go beyond 4.9GHz(on the z490 maximus XII hero Wi-Fi i was able to achieve 5.3GHz all cores).

Asus currently has three beta version(it's all about the 11900K n 11900KF) BIOS which they are working on (i've attached a image)

So my question is ?

Will i be able to achieve 5.3GHz on all core in the upcoming bios or should i just lose hope as the spec sheets says that this chipset doesn't support overclocking

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport

Hello Rish,

Based on the picture shared we noticed that he is using the Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology and based on the Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057816/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html) is compatible only with 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor (i9-10900K, i9-10900KF, i9-10850K, i7-10700K, i7-10700KF, i5-10600K, or i5-10600KF).

Please keep in mind that the use of Manual overclocking on the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor is not recommended/supported because this unit is not meant to for this.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello Rish,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

We understand that you are trying to get better performance on the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor by overclocking it.

We would like to share with you that the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor is not an unlocked CPU as it is the Intel® Core™ k CPUs.

In reference to the performance of the system while running an upcoming BIOS update. We would recommend reaching ASUS* for details about changes/performance in the new versions.

It is important to take into consideration the Intel® Boxed Processors Three-Year Limited Warranty Terms and Conditions (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005862/processors.html) when thinking about frequency changes in the CPUs.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Rish,

I am checking on your thread to know if you need further assistance with this request.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Rish
Beginner

Yes i have few more questions.

I recently purchased Cooler Master ML360 Sub-Zero 

1. Why can't i use this cooler on Intel Xeon W-1290p(it gives me an error Processor Not Supported), both the 10900k and W-1290P are based on 14nm, they both have almost similar specs. Then Why?  This seems so unfair

2.I think if Asus Pro WS W-480 ACE had a Manual overclocking option which supports BCLK. i would be able to overclock it to 5.3GHz.

According to you do you think having BCLK Frequency would get the W-1290p to 5.3GHz ?  

Thank You

Rish

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Rish,

Based on the picture shared we noticed that he is using the Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology and based on the Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057816/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html) is compatible only with 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor (i9-10900K, i9-10900KF, i9-10850K, i7-10700K, i7-10700KF, i5-10600K, or i5-10600KF).

Please keep in mind that the use of Manual overclocking on the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor is not recommended/supported because this unit is not meant to for this.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Rish,

I am checking on your thread to know if you need further assistance with this request.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Rish,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos