Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
12188 Discussions

Intel Xeon W-1290p

Rish
Beginner

Hi

I recently purchased a Xeon W-1290p(because it supports ECC over the 10900k) and Asus PRO W480-ACE motherboard.

Tried overclocking it to 5.3GHz all cores(Hyper-Threading Disabled) but wasn't able to go beyond 4.9GHz while stress testing but it did show 5300MHz in the bios. 

So then i checked the spec sheet for w480 found out that this chipset doesn't support overclocking. also tried overclocking 10900k same thing can't go beyond 4.9GHz(on the z490 maximus XII hero Wi-Fi i was able to achieve 5.3GHz all cores).

Asus currently has three beta version(it's all about the 11900K n 11900KF) BIOS which they are working on (i've attached a image)

So my question is ?

Will i be able to achieve 5.3GHz on all core in the upcoming bios or should i just lose hope as the spec sheets says that this chipset doesn't support overclocking

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rish,

Based on the picture shared we noticed that he is using the Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology and based on the Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057816/processors/processor-utilities-an...) is compatible only with 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor (i9-10900K, i9-10900KF, i9-10850K, i7-10700K, i7-10700KF, i5-10600K, or i5-10600KF).

Please keep in mind that the use of Manual overclocking on the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor is not recommended/supported because this unit is not meant to for this.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

6 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rish,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

We understand that you are trying to get better performance on the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor by overclocking it.

We would like to share with you that the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor is not an unlocked CPU as it is the Intel® Core™ k CPUs.

In reference to the performance of the system while running an upcoming BIOS update. We would recommend reaching ASUS* for details about changes/performance in the new versions.

It is important to take into consideration the Intel® Boxed Processors Three-Year Limited Warranty Terms and Conditions (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005862/processors.html) when thinking about frequency changes in the CPUs.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rish,

I am checking on your thread to know if you need further assistance with this request.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Rish
Beginner

Yes i have few more questions.

I recently purchased Cooler Master ML360 Sub-Zero 

1. Why can't i use this cooler on Intel Xeon W-1290p(it gives me an error Processor Not Supported), both the 10900k and W-1290P are based on 14nm, they both have almost similar specs. Then Why?  This seems so unfair

2.I think if Asus Pro WS W-480 ACE had a Manual overclocking option which supports BCLK. i would be able to overclock it to 5.3GHz.

According to you do you think having BCLK Frequency would get the W-1290p to 5.3GHz ?  

Thank You

Rish

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rish,

Based on the picture shared we noticed that he is using the Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology and based on the Frequently Asked Questions about Intel® Cryo Cooling Technology (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057816/processors/processor-utilities-an...) is compatible only with 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor (i9-10900K, i9-10900KF, i9-10850K, i7-10700K, i7-10700KF, i5-10600K, or i5-10600KF).

Please keep in mind that the use of Manual overclocking on the Intel® Xeon® W-1290P Processor is not recommended/supported because this unit is not meant to for this.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rish,

I am checking on your thread to know if you need further assistance with this request.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rish,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Leonardo C.