Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel Xtu showing negative max core frequency of -3.70

computeman
Beginner

Hello Intel community,

For a week or two i'd guess my 8700k has been sporadically showing a negative max core frequency of -3.70 in Intel Xtu. 

I have pinpointed this inaccurate reading issue down to Intel Xtu because when it shows the negative max core frequency of -3.70 the correct max core frequency is still properly shown in Task Manager (see attached picture for details)

So what I have done in an attempt to fix this issue is the following:

-Uninstalled current version of Intel Xtu and reinstalled the latest version

-Updated motherboard's BIOs 

Even after the above the issue still persists.

Any helpful information regarding this issue would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

computeman, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

When did you purchase the Intel® processor?

Did you ever notice this issue happening before on this specific machine?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
computeman
Beginner

Hey Albert,

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to troubleshoot alittle more with this issue before going ahead and running the System Support Utility.

Aorus Z370 Gaming 3 Motherboard.

I bought the processor maybe alittle over 3 years ago.

This issue has only happened on this machine (only machine the CPU has ever been in)

No recent hardware or software changes. 

Windows 11 (I kind of think this issue is Windows 11 related)

Problem happens at home.

Interestingly this issue has seemed to only be happening when I wake the computer up from sleep. Once I wake the computer up from sleep XTU will show the proper Max Core Frequency for maybe a minute then it gets stuck on showing -3.70.

An easy way to bypass this issue it to simply click on "Stop Monitors" then click "Start Monitors" in XTU.

I'm not an expert but I kinds of think this has something to do with Windows 11.

As I mentioned when this -3.70 appears the actual core frequency still shows in Task Manager.

Again, thanks for your reply Albert, if I don't make anymore progress with this I will consider running the System Support Utility.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi computeman, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

"I am going to troubleshoot alittle more with this issue before going ahead and running the System Support Utility.", no problem at all, we completely understand. Just to let you know, the SSU is just a report, and if necessary I can send you an email so you can reply to it privately in order to avoid showing the document publicly.

"I'm not an expert but I kinds of think this has something to do with Windows 11.", yes, most of the times this kind of situation is related directly to the OS. Especially, as you mentioned, that "the actual core frequency still shows in Task Manager.".

So, in order to totally rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor itself, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test, it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Also, since you are using Windows* 11, we recommend to install the latest chipset driver version 10.1.18836.8283, and the latest management engine driver version 2020.14.0.1600 provided by Gigabyte:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-3-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

We suggest also, to install all the Windows updates to make sure you are running the latest version. You can get in contact with Microsoft directly in the case you need help in doing so:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Additionally, since the Intel® XTU gathers information from the BIOS, we advise to get in contact directly with Gigabyte support to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your machine or, if necessary, to collect the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello computeman, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
computeman
Beginner

Hey Albert,

Great information for sure, I am still going to live with it for the time being as it is easy to bypass. It actually doesn't happen all the time too which is nice.

I was hoping some other processor owner's would have chimed in with the same issue but I guess not, not yet anyway.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi computeman, Thank you very much for your response.

"Great information for sure", perfect, excellent, we are glad to know the details provided previously were useful for you and that the issue "it is easy to bypass" and "It actually doesn't happen all the time too which is nice.".

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos