Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel core i7 8750h overheating

ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hello everyone, I have a intel i7 8750H and I see in specifications that this procesor has a TDP of 45W. But I don't understand why when a play or see information to CPU the processor is in 60 and 90W. Temperature of processor is very hot 100ºc. Also, I see that PROCHOT defaul in Throttlestop is 100ºc. Is normal all this values or what happend? 

Someone can to explain why Intel say 45W when in real life is 90W in short and long TPL. 

ajbb00_0-1651275164790.png

ajbb00_1-1651275277954.pngajbb00_2-1651275583969.png

I can't play calm. I have a Alienware m15. And I can't undervolt I have it look

ajbb00_3-1651275668193.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hello @n_scott_pearson :

Finally I could update the last BIOS 2.13.0 on Alienware m15 without lost undervolt. I Know now the reason Why I lost undervolt. The problem was update BIOS across Windows 10 update

ajbb00_0-1653070876398.png

. I did that when I update BIOS again.

"Remember on first boot to go into bios before windows and security and disable firmware capsule updates else first boot to windows will update the bloody bios again. Save the files for future accidental bios updates"

BIOS 2.13.0.jpg

I have undervolt again with the last BIOS.  The temperatures are better. I set PROCHOT in 95ºc. Thanks @AndreyCh89  really very important thermal paste and thermal pads. I will try different configurations in throttlestop.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-20 at 8.15.22 PM.jpeg

Thanks everyone.

I will be carfull to Install something about BIOS by Windows. I hope not lost undervolt again. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

All of this data is being presented by 3rd-party applications over which Intel has no control. I will say that your processor's TDP is indeed 45W and the Prochot assertion temperature (a.k.a. Maximum Junction Temperature, Tjmax) is somewhere in the vicinity of 100c.

I suggest you run Intel's tools and see what you see there:

Intel Processor Identification Utility: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/12136.

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951.

...S

0 Kudos
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hello Scott, Thank u for ur help. I did the test and I passed but the temperatures in maximun stress 100ºc. I think that not normal. Normally all procesor has Tjmax 100ºc but a temperature normal can be 86ºc in cpu strees. Exist any form to undervolt my processor? I have it look. Maybe a aplication to do that?.

Thanks for all

ajbb00_3-1651518307098.jpeg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, in response to the PlunderVolt! issue, Intel has disabled support for undervolting at the microcode level. If your system has a really old BIOS, then it is possible that you don't have microcode loaded that disables undervolting. That may be moot, however, since both Windows and Linux also load microcode updates. I do not know if intel has any plans to reenable undervolting at any point in the future (and I happen to be in agreement with this position; IMHO, undervolting is *never*, *ever* the right answer).

If you are (still) seeing temperatures reaching Tjmax when under load, then you need to fix the problem properly. That is, fix the cooling solution so that it properly provides the heat dissipation necessary. This may require cleaning the dust and grime out of the cooling ducts/heatsinks/fans/blowers (try using compressed air first; if that doesn't solve it, take it apart and clean it completely), replacing the Thermal Interface Material (TIM, a.k.a. heatsink paste) on the processor, adjusting the fan speed control curve, etc.

...S

AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

I don't see blocking the voltage drop change in the processor microcode. Microcode 0xEC from 2021-04-28.

ThrottleStop_MCU_ECThrottleStop_MCU_EC

0 Kudos
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hello AndreyCh89. This is ur best configuration with throttlestop?. Your PROCHOT in 90ºc was set for you? 

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

@ajbb00 , hello!

These are stable parameters in the program, but they are different for each processor...
PROCHOT is set by the manufacturer. Since this is a thin MSI GS65 8Re laptop.

ajbb00
New Contributor I

Ok, I try with this parameters, I have 100ºc in PROCHOT the processor is the same, I set in 98ºc. My laptop is alienware m15. 

0 Kudos
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Thank's  Scott, I will do all recomendations. I have a update about bios in windows. Is this a microcode update? .Also, I try to donwgrade my bios when the battery arrive at home because actually I have the last bios by my mistake.

ajbb00_0-1651561388389.png

I try to uninstall this update but I don't know. Is possible to uninstall?

Thanks Scott

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A processor microcode upgrade does not usually prevent the BIOS from being downgrade. The firmware for the Intel Management Engine (ME), on the other hand, cannot typically be downgraded. Once a BIOS has been installed that upgrades the ME firmware, you typically cannot downgrade. There are ways around this, of course, but not unless specifically supported by the motherboard vendor. 

...S

ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hello Scott, I did all your recommendations. I was able to downgrade my bios and set undervolt to -0.120v and desactive " uefi firmware update through capsules" It has greatly improved temperatures without stress (38-45ºC) without fan sounds. but when I run cinebech R23 the temperature is still slightly above 100ºC.

Do you think it is possible that the microcode upgrades have been removed when formatting the disk?

Is there a way to read a BIOS_IMG.RCV update file to check if it will block the undervolt option?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hello @n_scott_pearson :

Finally I could update the last BIOS 2.13.0 on Alienware m15 without lost undervolt. I Know now the reason Why I lost undervolt. The problem was update BIOS across Windows 10 update

ajbb00_0-1653070876398.png

. I did that when I update BIOS again.

"Remember on first boot to go into bios before windows and security and disable firmware capsule updates else first boot to windows will update the bloody bios again. Save the files for future accidental bios updates"

BIOS 2.13.0.jpg

I have undervolt again with the last BIOS.  The temperatures are better. I set PROCHOT in 95ºc. Thanks @AndreyCh89  really very important thermal paste and thermal pads. I will try different configurations in throttlestop.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-20 at 8.15.22 PM.jpeg

Thanks everyone.

I will be carfull to Install something about BIOS by Windows. I hope not lost undervolt again. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Good morning everyone,

I have more information about my case. I can donwgrade my bios. Thank's for ur help. I have other questions.

0 Kudos
ajbb00
New Contributor I

Is it possible that the manufacturer has set 100ºc of PROCHOT in the bios? I have seen some videos of undervolt with the same processor and some have 95ºc and others 98ºc

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

Your screenshots show that registers for PL1 60W and PL2 90W are registered in the bios, but you do not show the actual CPU consumption.
In my laptop with an i7-8750h processor, consumption can increase in the short term to 75W and stably holds 45W. All this is configured in the BIOS and EC by the manufacturer. You can also configure it yourself using ThrottleStop.
The screenshot shows that the MSR registers are locked. The reason for this may be a lock in the bios, the use of Windows 11 with active virtualization of the linux subsystem or kernel memory isolation (there is no solution at the moment).

ajbb00
New Contributor I

Hi, thanks everyone for your help.
I look that when my cpu is at 100% the frequency is not stable. Does the same thing happen to you? On the other hand, I agree with your comment to set it to 45W.
But:
Doesn't that decrease the performance of the laptop? I could gain better temperatures but lower frequencies, right?
I have an alienware m15 and you?
Did you set undervolt too?
Is it possible that the manufacturer has set 100ºc of PROCHOT in the bios? I have seen some videos of undervolt with the same processor and some have 95ºc and others 98ºc

Thanks greetings

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

It's the same in my laptop, since the frequency depends on the load, temperature and on the TDP of the processor.
The processor is designed for stable consumption of 45 watts and 60-90 watts in short-term modes.
That's right, it reduces productivity. You have not shown the actual thermal package of the laptop in operation under load. This can be viewed in HWiNFO.
I have an MSI GS65 8RE laptop.
Yes, I did undervolting, the screenshot above.
Yes, the manufacturer installs PROCHOT in the BIOS or in the EC.

Since the temperatures are high in your laptop, it may be time to do the prevention of the cooling system (clean the radiator from dust, change the thermal paste (Thermalright TFX, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme) and thermal pads (Thermalright ODYSSEY Thermal Pad, K5 PRO from Computer Systems, Laird Tputty 607)).

ajbb00
New Contributor I

Thanks, I try. 

Have u a frecuency stable with this configuration in Throttlestop when CPU is 100% ? 

In my case it starts at 3.9 GHz but drops after a few minutes and does not settle

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

It all depends on the processor load and whether the cooling system copes, here is an example.

Steven_Intel

Hello ajbb00,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos