Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel extreme tuning utility BRICKED my alder lake I7 12700K

Tom31100
Beginner

Hi,

I think there is a big issue with Intel XTU software and some (maybe all) Ader lake processors.

As of today and as i found in some other posts on the internet, some of us are having major issue after using intel's XTU. ( See here, an here for exemple).

I'll try to make it as clear as possible :

I installed a full new systeme with asus DDR 4 motherboard plus intel i7 12700k I7, 2x 16 G of 3600 DDR 4 and a solid AIO watercooling solution : artctic freezer II 280.

Installed a fresh new W11 pro retail and made some tests with basic bios settings and basic ram timings (not XMP profiles).

I made some stress tests to monitor temp and freq on my system.
Everything went fine.

I decided to use ASUS AI 3 software to auto tweek my PC and see what could an auto overclok give me.

Everything went fine and i decided to revert back to normal clocking.

I then decided to manually start to overclock using intel's extreme tuning utility (XTU) as adviced in tom's harware article .

My problems started.

I first used XTU latest version 7.7.0.12 as of march 23.

Going into the "AUTO" overclock, everything whent fine.
I started to stress test my cpu with no issues and no throttling.
Then, i decided to revert the setings to the "DEFAULT"  provided profile and problems did start.

My I7 was not able to cranck up on P cores and loked to 2600 MHz freq whitout any other issue showed in XTU's monitoring. Everything was fine except my P cores was locked @ 2600 Mhz.

E cores seemed fine.

I then decided to push a little bit the core voltage as it was shown not to go upper than 1.18 volts, far far away from default acceptable voltage.

Problem : it did nothing  @ALL , changing core voltage had no effect at all.
Afer a Looooong time uninstalling XTU and its profiles, clearing my motherboard CMOS, applying AI asus software overclok trying torestore my previous settings, restauring bios default in uefi, i could'nt conclude anything else than Intel's XTU  DEFAULT parameters being faulty and making revert to normal state of my proc completly impossible.

I then tried to find another version of Intel's XTU to see if it could help with buggy latest version.
And on Tom's hardware article i saw that the revision used was 7.5.3.3 of XTU AND that i could see an option on the article screen shot that had completly desapeard from my version of XTU (the latest 7.7.0.12) : the RATIO /VOLTAGE TUNING MODE was not there and locked on the  "Per-core" option, not allowing me to revert to  "Package" mode.

To be honest, i don't know if i clicked this option before i tryed to revert to default profile of XTU, but the point here is that it was impossible to revert back to "package" and that it had the effect of making it impossible  to manage vcore voltage.

I then installed the 7.5.3.3 version of XTU and the option was finally back.
I could revert back to "Package" mode and cranck up the core voltage. BUT it didn't change anything at all except i could see voltage cranck up in stress tests but with no effect on P core frequency : 2600 mhz

To resume :

Tryed an auto overclocking with Intel XTU . Went well.
Applyed "DEFAULT" ETU profile to revert back to normal : BRICKED my CPU
Tryed  multiple install, Clear CMOS, re use other tweak utilities with NO résults.

looks like ETU changed default parameters to something really wrong and definitly LOCKED by this app and no more accessible by other ways.

As of today, i think you should warn people not to use intel's XTU software at least until it's not fixed.

I have no option today except send back my I7 as i can not restaure its default or i can try to apply a default profile hat you would have sent me to test but as of today, my I7 is bricked.

Sent you capture screen of missing option and SSU report too.
Hope it'll help.

Regards

Edit typo  and screen shots

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Tom31100, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Thank you very much for your feedback and for letting us know about this situation. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Tom31100, I just received an update on this matter.

It is important to mention that there are no oficial reported issues between Intel® XTU and 12th generation Intel® processors. 

Just to let you know, altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of system and components for additional details.

So, as you mentioned, if you have the option, get in contact directly with the place of purchase in order to replace the unit.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos