Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14528 Discussions

Intel i5-4200U stuck at 0.78 GHz.

AKahv
Beginner

The CPU frequency is stuck at 0.78GHz and under full load (while running Prime 95) the CPU usage doesn't go above 34%.

I have tried to reinstall the system (windows 10) with all power setting set to performance and I have update the BIOS but it didn't solve the issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to check the BIOS configuration. It sounds like you have a limitation being imposed by something there (max clock, max power, etc.)...

...S

0 Kudos
AKahv
Beginner

All BIOS settings are set to performance with TurboBoost enabled.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello AKahv Thank you for the information. This behavior can be related to a bios setting advised by n.scott.pearson, you can try loading the system default BIOS settings, updating the BIOS, and also some BIOS Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology for Intel® Processors option. You can try the following steps on the system: 1. If any recent change was perform to BIOS settings, try to revert them. If this does not help, you may try to load defaults BIOS. 2. Check if the feature Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology for Intel® Processors is enable in the BIOS. If it is enabled, try to disable it. 3. Some manufacturers provide access to Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology for Intel® Processors via a physical switch on the motherboard itself instead of an option in the BIOS. If the SpeedStep feature is not in the BIOS, check the motherboard itself for a physical switch. To complete any BIOS actions on the system please contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) motherboard manufacturer (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html). Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ManiacMark
Beginner

My Samsun Laptop has been slow for a year. I am finally doing benchmarking and I see the exact same issue. Intel Core i5-4200U running at 782MHz !   I can't seem to find out why it is being throttled.

Did you solve this ?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This thread is 1.5 years old.  Start a new thread.

0 Kudos
AnselmoMS
Beginner

I had the same issue and i solved by simply remove the battery.

0 Kudos