Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

Intel i5 8th Gen question

SMurp2
Beginner

Hi, this is my first post on Intel forums.

Had a small question about i5-8250 processor.

Clock speed is 1.6Mhz which goes upto 3.4 Mhz in Turbo boost.

I was constantly watching task manager and found processor to be running at 1.6 to 1.9 Mhz.

I started to unrar a big file to test the proceesor however it did not cross 2.2Mhz.

In case I had 7th gen processor at a base clock speed of 2.7, it would had clocked 2.7 Mhz easily.

My question is, don't you think that the 7th gen processor will get the job done faster.

Cores might be less in 7th Gen, but the processing is faster compared to 8th gen.

Need your advice.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Compu_Man

Thank you for contacting us.

I noticed that you have questions regarding the performance of your Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that this could be causing.

As specified in the processor's features the Max Turbo Frequency will be 3.40 GHz (with Turbo Boost)

However depending on the task that the unit is performing these values can change, and either go lower or higher starting from the Processor Base Frequency which is 1.60 GHz. The feature in charge of this task is called Intel® Speed Shift Technology.

Intel® Speed Shift Technology uses hardware-controlled P-states to deliver dramatically quicker responsiveness with single-threaded, transient (short duration) workloads, such as web browsing, by allowing the processor to more quickly select its best operating frequency and voltage for optimal performance and power efficiency.

This feature basically won't allow the processor to go up to the Max Turbo Frequency when performing a task such as decompressing a big file.

In case that you want to disable this feature, you will need to contact your motherboard manufacturer so they can guide you through the BIOS of your machine.

I strongly recommend performing a heavier task, such as a stress test on the CPU, which could be performed through our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).

Here you will find the link from our download center:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

(You may need to copy and paste the links provided into a separate tab in case that you have issues when clicking on them)

I hope this information comes handy to you.

Please let me know if you have any other question or concern once that you are monitoring the results of the test, I am here to serve.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
SMurp2
Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

I do agree that the clock shift is on temp basis only(required as per the process/thread)

My main query was regarding to 7th Gen processor, high clock speed compared to 8th Gen processor

Dont you think 7th Gen processor has a Win-Win situation compared to 8th Gen, as it will complete the task within short period due to faster clock speed.

Regarding disabling turbo boost, wanted to ask whether it will constantly work at 3.4mhz or 1.6mhz?

I checked bios setting there are no option to enable disable turbo boost.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Compu_Man,

Thank you for your reply.

I really appreciate all the information shared with us, it is extremely helpful.

In this case the option that you are looking to disable on the BIOS should be referenced as Intel® Speed Shift Technology, not Turbo Boost. When it comes about Turbo Boost, it does not work at static values, it is actually a Smart Dynamic feature, meaning that it will automatically choose the best value from 3.4mhz or 1.6mhz depending on the task that is being performed at that moment.

Regarding your query about 7th Gen processor vs 8th Gen processor it all depends several factors and the task that you need to accomplish. The model, the family and the generation of the CPU need to be considered as well. Every CPU model and family is intended to work and accomplish different tasks. A quick example of that will be our Core "I" family.

Intel Core i7: is intended to provide High-end performance.

Intel Core i5: is basically a combination of high end features and basic ones, for a mainstream usage.

Intel Core i3: is focused on Entry-level performance.

By settling this down, yes, an Intel Core i5 7th generation can perform even better than an Intel Core i7 8th generation on a basic task such as decompressing big files, and the reason why is because the I5 processor is intended to accomplish that task. However in terms of features and performance the Intel Core i7 8th generation will be superior as an overall on features such as:

-Core i5 CPUs lack Hyper-threading

-Core i7 CPUs have more Smart Cache than i5 CPUs

- Core i5 and i7 CPUs share the same exact graphics; however the speed of the embedded graphics will depend on the individual CPU.

I hope this information comes handy to you.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

SMurp2
Beginner

Fanstatic reply, I really liked the way you replied to my query.

Thanks for clearing my doubts.

One more question between 7 & 8 gen I5 processor -

8Gen has 4 cores with every core having 2 logical cores, so total becomes 8 cores.

Lets say it will run at an average 2.0 Mhz to decompress a big file, but all 8 cores actually utilized?

Also does all cores frequencies are different from others?

7Gen has just 4 cores in total.

Wanted some insight like an example giving above

I checked bios and did not found option for Intel speed step

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Compu_Man,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

My main goal as a representative from Intel is to provide outstanding support.

Regarding your question, there are some things that I want to point:

-All cores will work independently, dynamically and with different Mhz speeds.

-Even if they work at a dynamic range as specified before, depending on task being performed, not all of them will be utilized the same time.

If a user is performing video editing, the amount of cores utilized will be more than a user that is just performing web browsing. Why is that? Here's where the Execution threads enter the game. An Execution thread is a software term for the basic ordered sequence of instructions that can be passed through or processed by a single CPU core.

Let's imagine a bottle, full of different tasks (gaming, video editing, camera recordings, web browsing, downloads, etc) that need to get out of the bottle. Execution threads will select which one of the tasks are going to pass the bottleneck first and how many cores will be utilized to take the tasks out of the bottle in order to avoid all of them trying to get out at the same time.

So basically the rule is the following: more threads + more cores = better performance.

However as a wise man said; all rules are meant to be broken.

If your tasks are not that heavy, you won't need as many threads or cores as someone that is running 3 or 4 heavy tasks at the same time. That's why a 7th gen CPU with just few cores and few threads can perform better than a newer device when performing small jobs. As shared before, some processors are intended to work with more complicated duties, and some of them are for regular home usage.

When it comes about Intel® Speed Shift Technology, the feature is supported by the CPU, but one case scenario is that the motherboard does not support it and that's why the option is not there for you to disable it.

If that is the case I strongly recommend you to get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer in order to check if they support that setting or if there is a new (BIOS) update that could support it.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
SMurp2
Beginner

This really helped me, thanks.

I was actually comparing i5-8250u and i5-7300HQ.

I already appreciate all your hard work, but had a double comparing both. Due to clock speed variance and TDP, whats better for gaming and high end graphics work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Compu_Man,

Thank you for your response.

As shared before, it all depends on the system components, but when it comes about features in this specific case scenario the best option will be an Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Processor.

Feel free to check this link in order to compare both of them:

https://ark.intel.com/compare/97456,124967 https://ark.intel.com/compare/97456,124967

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos