Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Intel i5's and the Upcoming Competition of High cores.

ARawa4
Beginner

Intel i5 quad core cpu's are good for light computing, but i was wondering can intel enable limited hyper threading, like having 4c/6t or 4c/8t at base clocks, this might not eat up the i7's market share as they are highly overclockable. if intel provides addon HT capabilites to existing haswell,skylake and kabylake processors, users will be delighted and that may effectively counter the high core competition at a marginal cost of a bios update to H110,H170 and Z170 chipsets. Is this technically "Feasible"?,

If yes Intel can retake the pole position in CPU's, against a radical change in upcoming CPU market, which has been stagnant for the past decades.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Turiam,

Please let me review your inquiry, as soon as I have more information I will update the thread.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Employee

/thread/110441 Turiam, thank you for your patience.

I have passed your input to the corresponding team and we are going to review it accordingly. Thank you for providing this information.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
ARawa4
Beginner

Hello Dear Intel,

I haven't heard from your side, I hope things are working out well with enabling HT on older i5's, as mentioned in my previous post.

Kindly look into the economy of things for now and good luck with the new hyper threaded i5 7640k, it would be best if along with the release of a new HT enabled i5, Intel Corporation released bios updates for old i5, to enable HT on them too.

This will be the optimum Win-Win Situation for both existing customers and the ones who will join the Intel Bandwagon.

Good luck Team Intel.

I Sincerely hope Both the Customers and The Corporation Prospers..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110441 Turiam, the information was successfully passed to corresponding team, for now let's hope that it can be considered in the future.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Hi Turiam,

I know this was already passed on to intel and an answer given, but I figured I would take a moment to chime in.

I think the one of two things will happen in the future.

First the i3, i5, and i7 line will stay much as it is now. The i3 being a lower core count with HT, the i5 line having similar core count to the i7, but without HT. Then you have the high core HT i7 line. This is how it is currently done.

The next way this could shift is to a more Ryzen approach Where the i3,i5,and i7 refer to the tier of how many cores.

The reason the i5 line does not have HT is because it cuts down on cost and makes the chip fit nicely into the gaming niche market.

I am all for Intel changing up their lines to a little better system, but I think regardless of how they change it there will always be a niche for the non-HT gaming cpus.